Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Bulletin Board. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

Self-immolation

The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Fairlie
    Participant

S&H 11:21 ff–“Wisdom and Love may require many sacrifices of self to save us from sin. One sacrifice, however great, is insufficient to pay the debt of sin.The atonement requires constant self-immolation on the sinner’s part.” In referring often to what Mrs. Eddy said about herself in such humility: “The little that I have accomplished has all been done through self-forgetful, patient, unfaltering tenderness.” This is something I work with in trying to live the Christian life, but it’s an ongoing strife!

MaryBeth
    Participant

Thank you! Beautiful quote from Mrs. Eddy and yes, one to live up to!

Gary
    Participant

And it is the most rewarding work that anyone can do. The sacrifices of “self” are the burning off of selfishness, self-righteousness, self-love, etc. These are the things that prevent us from realizing our highest good, our greatest potential, for they keep us from hearing and obeying God. We should rejoice when we burn them away and let the light of Truth shine on our hearts.

And if it seems painful at times to have these “self” hindrances burned off, that only shows that we are clinging to them and need to let go. Whenever I react to a rebuke, I now recognize it as a sign that something has been hit that needs to be burned away. It wasn’t always so. And if I seem to be “losing” something or someone that I cherish, put it in God’s hands and let Him determine what is really best for me. This is how selfishness and all the other “selfs” are burned away – self-immolated.

This is a process that is definitely worth practicing, for the rewards are unspeakable.

chardelle

Thank you for these posts. I am beginning to understand “one sacrifice is insufficient…” The burning away is often painful…I see how I cling to old behavior and beliefs. Yes, purify me with hyssop for I desire to dwell in the house of our LORD.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.