Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Forum. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

Set your heart and soul

The Forum is dedicated to each week's lesson, and may be used to post questions, comments, and constructive replies that strive to uncover the inspired meaning of the text. The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible; make two short postings of the long posts or send the lengthy ones for publication in our Magazine or Newsletter. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Announcements Forums Soul – February 14th, 2016 Set your heart and soul

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    MaryBeth
    Participant

“Now set your heart and soul to seek the LORD your God.” (I Chronicles) This lesson is certainly filled with the importance of seeking God with every part of your being! There are so many distractions in this world to pull us away from this path of devoted love and obedience. I have found it helpful to renew my covenant with God and my devotion to Him every morning – keeping things fresh and joyful. I know what life was like without Him and it was not good! God’s path is never dull or boring (although error would try to convince us it is). God’s path is one of peace and joy and love – “moments of surrender to God, of childlike trust and joyful adoption of good…”as Mrs. Eddy describes in her article on The New Birth (Mis. Wr. page 15).

Espaid
    Participant

This lesson definitely resonated with me.

Several citations remind us to seek God with all thy heart and with all thy soul and with a whole desire.

“…if from thence thou shalt seek the Lord thy God, thou shalt find him, if thou seek him with all thy heart and with all thy soul.” (Deuteronomy 4: 29)

“And they entered into a covenant to seek the Lord God of their fathers with all their heart and with all their soul” (2 Chronicles 15: 12)

“And all Judah rejoiced at the oath: for they had sworn with all their heart, and sought him with their whole desire; and he was found of them:” (2 Chronicles 15: 15)

There was no half-hearted seeking. It was full-blown, energetic, and earnest. Not “Well, maybe I’ll turn to God today because I have a problem.”

Thanks for this lesson!

Susanne
    Participant

“I have found it helpful to renew my covenant with God and my devotion to Him every morning – keeping things fresh and joyful.”

Wow, this is a beautiful and helpful idea. I guess I never thought about renewing the covenant every morning but it certainly makes sense. People prepare for the day in many ways that involve cleanliness, exercise, nutrition, proper dress, etc. but the most important would be to take care of one’s spiritual nourishment first! Direct from God. God carries me through every moment of the day, so it doesn’t seem like it’s asking too much to check in with God first thing (like we would with an employer!) to align myself with God’s will, what HE has in store. Not just read the lesson and run off, but really bring the covenant into play. God’s promises to me require my obedience to Him, and if I’ve learned anything from Plainfield, it’s how important obedience is, and that all good comes from God, and in reality God has only good things in store for us. Who doesn’t want good? (As was stated above, “I know what life was like without Him and it was not good!” Amen to that!)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.