Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Forum. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

Silence.

The Forum is dedicated to each week's lesson, and may be used to post questions, comments, and constructive replies that strive to uncover the inspired meaning of the text. The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible; make two short postings of the long posts or send the lengthy ones for publication in our Magazine or Newsletter. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    spencel
    Participant

“What we term mortal mind or carnal mind, dependent on matter for manifestation, is not Mind. God is Mind: all that Mind, God, is, or hath made, is good, and He made all.” and “Remember, brain is not mind.” Science and Health, by Mary Baker Eddy pages 311 and 372

This week I came across this line, “God is Not Silent; We Are Too Loud” and “I can’t expect to live a life of freedom if I am not connected to the One who gave me freedom in the first place.”

We are continually instructed at Plainfield to cultivate a listening heart, to take time to be quiet with God. To feel His presence and practice daily this living saving habit.

The author that wrote the above line also made a list of the many things that crowd into our thoughts creating the noise such as to do lists, responsibilities, fears, and worries which “drown out the Voice of Truth.” To that I added feelings, memories, people, news, and the list goes on. Many believe their “brain” can’t turn off. Mrs. Eddy shows this lie to be one we can be free of. This list made me stop and take account of all the noise pollution I am not stopping at the door of thought. It gave me a greater appreciation of the practical teachings of Mrs. Eddy’s pure Christian Science and the materials provided here that have been helping me become more disciplined so I can hear God speaking to me.

I have a sticky note on my computer given to my by my practitioner here. It reminds me daily, “Yesterday is over. Focus on today. One day at a time and tomorrow will take care of itself.”
    I an grateful to be learning how to discipline thought to refuse to worry about tomorrow and face each challenge one day at a time with God.

Gary
    Participant

Thank you. This explains very well the challenge we face as God’s children, or as His image and likeness. In the lesson, from Deuteronomy, it says, “Out of heaven he made thee to hear his voice, that he might instruct thee.” God made us all capable of hearing His voice so that He could instruct us. Mrs. Eddy refers to this ability as our “spiritual sense.”
    The challenge for us is to use it, to trust it, and to obey the voice when it speaks to us. As we learn in Science, that voice is always speaking! I find it useful to periodically take time out and examine what I allow to occupy my consciousness. Worry and fear give power to something other than God. Some people drown out their fears by having the TV on, or playing music constantly. Others medicate with drugs or alcohol. All of these are part of the “noise” that blocks out God’s voice.
    I saw an article recently that stated 40% of Americans are suffering from mental stress or substance abuse. Whether the number is accurate or not, it points to the great need of mankind for the truth of Christian Science and to learn to cultivate our spiritual sense so that He might instruct us. It is the only way!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.