Topic: "Sin No More" | Member Section

Welcome to the lesson forum page. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in. If it is your first time on the new website, please click "Lost Password" and then add the username or email you had on the former website. It will send a reset code to your email and you will be on quickly. Thank you!

"Sin No More"

We gladly welcome your comments on our Forum and Bulletin Board but we do maintain the right to edit and/or take down anything we feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible; make two short postings of the long posts or send the lengthy ones for publication in our Magazine or Newsletter. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  JPalmer 10 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

parthens
    Participant

“[Jesus] did life’s work aright not only in justice to himself, but in mercy to mortals, — to show them how to do theirs, but not to do it for them nor to relieve them of a single responsibility” (SH 18).

So important!

William D. Kilpatrick’s 1935 Association Address, “Treatment,” underscores this point very well: “Remember that Jesus never healed anyone without making it clear to them that the permanency of their healing rested entirely with them. Almost invariably he said to them that their future welfare of their being rested with them. He said, to paraphrase his statement in several instances, ‘Now, I have healed you this time. But whether you stay healed depends on you.’ In other words, ‘Go and sin no more lest a worse thing come upon you.'”

JPalmer
    Participant

Thank you very much for this post!

Growing up, we went to many different churches in California, each with their own brand of “Christianity.” The one constant theme was the teaching that basically amounted to ‘do whatever you want, and then ask God to forgive your sins and you’ll be all set.’ Then we moved to a very Catholic town in Massachusetts, and suddenly there was this sense of ‘no matter what you do you will be a sinner, but if you give us money and perform these rituals you might just make it to heaven.’ Both options seemed just wrong to me. What kind of deity would set up a system like that? This is why I ended up going toward atheism for a time.

In Plainfield, with Mrs. Eddy’s Science, I’ve found something that makes sense. Finally! We are taught all our life – in school, at work, and in our “real life” – that we need to take responsibility for our own actions. We reap what we sow. Why wouldn’t that also apply to spiritual matters and health? I am so grateful that Christian Science never asks us to act like we are victims in an unfair process. Quite the opposite!

For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace. – Isaiah 9:6

Something I’ve been feeling is that the names that Isaiah gives are not interchangeable, but actually prophecy the process that people go through as they learn about the Christ and then have that knowledge tempered with the understanding gained from Christian Science.

Wonderful: When we first hear his healings, we are amazed: What power! What compassion!

Counsellor: Then we read deeper into his message, such as the Sermon on the Mount; it feels right and we take that counsel, but only superficially.

The mighty God, The everlasting Father: Then – because we fail to live this Science – we see his demonstrations as unrepeatable, and then deify Jesus to justify our failings.

The Prince of Peace: But then the revelation of Christian Science comes along, and we are shown the truth of his works, and how to put off that old thought and follow him. We learn how to “go and sin no more.” At last, we see how to be “joint-heirs with Christ.” (Romans 8: 17)

What a constant joy and blessing it is to be here, learning. None of this would have been gained without this Science! Thank you for these lessons!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.