Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Bulletin Board. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

So great a cloud of witnesses

The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Announcements Forums Christ Jesus – August 27th, 2017 So great a cloud of witnesses

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Rae
    Participant

I found myself waking up at 5 a.m. this morning, thinking about the cloud of witnesses mentioned in this week’s Bible Lesson (Hebrews 12:1-3): “Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight…and let us run with patience the race that is set before us.”

(There was a bit of synchronicity as my son had texted me a photo of a painting of The Cloud of Witnesses that he had taken at a church in California last weekend.) I love the imagery of those millions of faithful followers cheering us on to victory in our life of faith. I wondered what the Bible had to say about who they are? When I looked in Hebrews 11, I found the list of many old Testament saints: Abel, Enoch, Noah, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Sara, Joseph, Moses, David, Samuel, etc. (before the birth of Jesus)

In Misc. Writings on p. 83, Mrs. Eddy writes of man “as a living witness to and perpetual idea of inexhaustible good.”

I’m so thankful to be studying the Bible and S&H…wonderful how the Sermon words begin to stir the soil of my mind and start me digging deeper.

Joyful blessings,

Rae

Florence
    Participant

Thank you! Webster’s 1828 dictionary gives one of the definitions of Cloud 5. A great multitude; a vast collection.
    Seeing we are encompassed with so great a cloud of witnesses. Hebrews 12:1.

Beautiful, that to me means a multitude of witnesses, as the names referred to in your post suggest.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.