Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Bulletin Board. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

Spiritual interpretations.

The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Announcements Forums Adam and Fallen Man – May 8th, 2016 Spiritual interpretations.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Michael Pupko
    Participant

It is so important to know the Spiritual meaning behind Biblical stories. When I first read the Bible I couldn’t see why in the story of Abel and Cain, Abel giving a lamb was more acceptable to God than Cain giving from ‘the fruit of the ground.’ ‘Ground’ represents mortal mind and ‘lamb’ is a Spiritual concept. Recently I read that ‘sheep’ represents human goodness while ‘lamb’ represents the Spiritual, real man. To confirm this I looked to see what Mrs. Eddy had to say on the subject and found this in the glossary of Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures; LAMB OF GOD. The spiritual idea of Love; self-im­molation; innocence and purity; sacrifice. SHEEP. Innocence; inoffensiveness; those who follow their leader.

Michael Pupko
    Participant

In this weeks lesson citation 41 ‘And whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile, go with him twain’ has significant meaning for me. ‘Compel’ is defined as ‘force to do something.’ According to Dummelows Commentary, in those times when the Roman army was traveling (invading) they ‘compelled’ the native people to move all the provisions etc. that goes with the army through the natives own areas. What an incredible injunction from Jesus to go an extra mile with someone we could easily label as an ‘enemy,’ seeming to be aiding them but holding to and converting them with divine Love!

Florence
    Participant

Yes going the extra mile could mean your own conviction in what is true and in that case your light can shine through their darkness and help someone. To me it is like the patience that awaits the awakening of one in a dream of mortal thinking; while through it all one gains increasing conviction of the Truth and a full realization of error’s NOTHINGNESS!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.