Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Bulletin Board. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

Strong man

The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    spencel
    Participant

“Self-love is more opaque than a solid body. In patient obedience to a patient God, let us labor to dissolve with the universal solvent of Love the adamant of error, — self-will, self-justification, and self-love, — which wars against spirituality and is the law of sin and death.” Mary Baker Eddy

During Sunday’s Roundtable how to “bind the strong man” was discussed. Somehow until that day I didn’t really grasp that the “strong man” was aggressive ungodlike thinking.

“Mortal mind is ‘the strong man,’ which must be held in subjection before its influence upon health and morals can be removed.” Mary Baker Eddy (Subjection: subduing; vanquishing and bringing under the dominion) She says it “must” be held. A requirement of obedience and discipline. Not an option.

She also tells us to dissolve self-will, self-justification, and self-love. These three errors were mentioned at the Roundtable as some of the worst “strongmen”.

How wonderful to have a lesson last week about what we need to do with our thinking and followed up with this week’s lesson on the importance of obedience to God. I can’t just drift into the Kingdom of God as I had once hoped but must work in obedience. Not only that but it doesn’t just happen in one moment, another misconception I had. I need patience to finish this course. Therefore apathy and laziness of the human mind is another strongman to bind otherwise I will be taken off only to have to work to get back onto the path. I am grateful to have found a place that clearly teaches from the Bible and Mary Baker Eddy’s writing. Learning to truly love and honor God has been a blessing.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.