Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Bulletin Board. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

Thank you for teaching in this church!

The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Announcements Forums Bulletin Board Thank you for teaching in this church!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    DaleW
    Participant

Thank you for the questions in the April 3, 2021 Bible Study; question 2 was “Discussion of Jesus and his rebukes or frustrations with the disciples.” It showed clearly from all the instances that each disciple was, as we are now, on a journey from sense to Soul.

I have always wondered in the instance of Jesus raising Jairus’s daughter, (Luke 8:50-55) how was it that “Peter, and James, and John, and the father and mother of the maiden” all laughed Jesus to scorn after he said, she is not dead, but sleepeth.

He had told them, “Fear not: believe only, and she shall be made whole.”
    Matthew Henry (Concise Bible Commentary) says “…in perfect faith there is no fear; the more we fear, the less we believe.”

“He put them all out, and took her by the hand, and called, saying, Maid, arise.
    “And her spirit came again, and she arose straightway: and he commanded to give her meat.”
    Matthew Henry says (Complete Bible Commentary) that “they were unworthy to be witnesses”
    In checking my own worthiness, I must handle (deny, defeat, obliterate) fear, and know the Allness of God, Love.
    We are told, in Mary Baker Eddy’s household, “each student returned to his or her room to do the mental work to destroy fear, and to recognize the presence and power of God as supreme in the home, as well as in the whole universe.” (from Watching in Mrs. Eddy’s Home by Gilbert C. Carpenter)

How blessed we are in this church to have these Bible Studies, and materials from the early workers! To help us along in our journey, and to bless all mankind!

JPalmer
    Participant

My interpretation of these events is that there were a group of people — likely relatives and close friends of Jairus and his daughter — who were waiting in the house when Christ Jesus arrived with Peter, James, John, Jairus and his daughter’s mother. It was not those who came with Jesus who laughed, but those within the house. When those mourning within the house refused the comfort of the Christ, “he put them all out.” (Luke 8:54) Despite saying “all,” I believe those that accompanied Jesus remained, as their belief and positive expectancy were not an impediment to the work he came to do.

I also think it is interesting that verse 56 says “he charged them that they should tell no man what was done.” Certainly people would see that Jairus’ daughter was alive, so I had wondered before why this command was given. Parthen’s post about the paralytic patients who were healed but then “remembered” that they were not supposed to be able to walk helped me to see that mortal mind — that “murderer from the beginning” (John 8:44) — would love to argue that Jairus’ daughter should be dead. One of the many things I have learned here is that we are not supposed to converse with error, we are to handle it.

Thank you Plainfield for all that is taught here!

DaleW
    Participant

Thank you for your post! Thank you for your interpretation. Even though it says he put them all out, what you say makes more sense, and upon digging, found this additional statement in Matthew Henry:
    “He took none with him but Peter, and James, and John, that triumvirate of his disciples that he was most intimate with, designing these three, with the parents, to be the only spectators of the miracle, they being a competent number to attest the truth of it.”

Thank you again!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.