Topic: "That which is taking place is a further revelation of what I already am." | Member Section

Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Forum. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

"That which is taking place is a further revelation of what I already am."

The Forum is dedicated to each week's lesson, and may be used to post questions, comments, and constructive replies that strive to uncover the inspired meaning of the text. The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible; make two short postings of the long posts or send the lengthy ones for publication in our Magazine or Newsletter. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Announcements Forums Spirit — August 9th, 2020 "That which is taking place is a further revelation of what I already am."

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Susan 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Susan
    Participant

The title of this post is taken from “Notes from a Class as Taught by Laura Sargent” on the website.

I loved your idea spoken of in the Roundtable discussions, to take a thought from the lesson with you for the day.

So taking with me “As mortals gain more correct views of God and man, multitudinous objects of creation, which before were invisible, will become visible.” (Science and Health, page 264:13-15), I was wondering during the week how to experience this and what it means?

One example of objects of creation that “before were invisible”, was actually discovering Plainfield Independent Church, which had not been visible to me until now. It existed prior, but I didn’t see it.

Finding this Laura Sargent article (that I am still reading through) has really opened my eyes some in regards to the answer to this question further.

She talks about “Looking out from Truth.”

Also that “God is not giving anything to me, but He is expressing himself as me.”

“Do not study as a human person acquiring knowledge from a book…..You are not a person using Christian Science to solve problems.”

“Healing is the lessening of the material sense of body.”

In Genesis 1, it says God created man in His Image and Likeness. So it’s all done and finished so it’s up to me (not a person me, but the individual expression of God as I) to realize what already is, by being it. How was it possible for the man with the palsy to take up his bed and walk? Because nothing was stopping him. He just had to be what he already is. So he got up and walked.

Thank you so much for this week’s lesson and all the lessons.

parthens
    Participant

Supplanting flesh with Spirit, sense with Soul: “Healing is the lessening of the material sense of body” (Laura Sargent).

“That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit” (John 3:6).

This saying may be expressed metaphysically: “That which is born of nonexistence is nonexistent and that which is born of Spirit is Spirit” (note the capital S). Compare the King James Version translators’ rendering of the first letter of the word “spirit” in John 3:6 with Mrs. Eddy’s direct and bold statement on page 77 of the f1rst edition of Science and Health: “The final understanding that we are Spirit must come.” An appropriate metaphor for this affirmation of absolute oneness is the sun and the rays emanating from it. Thus, originating from Spirit, I express, through and through, the nature of Spirit, my one and only origin, just as a ray originating from the sun expresses, through and through, the nature of the sun only. And, as the sun is greater than any of its rays, so Jesus said, “My Father is greater than I.”

Again in the unveiled first edition, Mrs. Eddy insists: “That we are Spirit and Spirit is God, is undeniably true…” (page 155). And yet again: “We are Soul, Spirit and not matter…” (page 169). Likewise, the third edition, volume 2, affirms on page 58, “At present we know not what we are, but this is certain, that we shall be Love, Life and Truth.”

In Mrs. Eddy’s study of Job, he is healed, “born again”, by cursing the day (that is, the finite calendar day) he was born of materiality, blotting out the false sense of material birth. Job finally arrives at the understanding that he had never been born of the flesh to begin with, as a child of time, his true being having been begotten of Spirit, as a child of eternity.

“One day Mrs. Eddy touched Adam Dickey’s hand with her finger and asked him, ‘What is this?’ He replied, ‘Matter.’ She said, ‘It is not; it is Spirit.’ Then another time she looked at him and said, ‘You are Spirit.’ And he said, ‘No, Mother, I am spiritual.’ She said in a very emphatic way, ‘You are Spirit.’ And he said, ‘Mother, I do not see that.’ She said, ‘You are Spirit,’ the third time, but he said he could not see it. When he was going to his room he met Mrs. Sargent and told her of the conversation with Mrs. Eddy and she said, ‘Oh, Mr. Dickey, why did you say that! Mother was trying to give you her highest teaching'” (Collectanea).

Susan
    Participant

This is quite brilliant thanks.

And “…matter is the unreal and temporal..”. MBE Scientifuc Statement of Being. Dictionary notes temporal definition relates to “of time.” As in Job and cursing the child of time.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.