Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Bulletin Board. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

The armor of light

The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Susanne
    Participant

Romans 13, verse 12 states: “The night is far spent, the day is at hand: let us therefore cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armour of light.” I was intrigued by the notion of “armour of light” and found this in Matthew Henry’s commentary:

“Put on the armour of light. Christians are soldiers in the midst of enemies, and their life a warfare, therefore their array must be armour, that they may stand upon their defence—the armour of God, to which we are directed, Eph. 6:13 A Christian may reckon himself undressed if he be unarmed. The graces of the Spirit are this armour, to secure the soul from Satan’s temptations and the assaults of this present evil world. This is called the armour of light, some think alluding to the bright glittering armour which the Roman soldiers used to wear; or such armour as it becomes us to wear in the day-light. The graces of the Spirit are suitable splendid ornaments, are in the sight of God of great price.”

I love this: “A Christian may reckon himself undressed if he be unarmed.” Who wants to go about their day undressed?

And from the article “Radiation and Absorption” by A. Learner (thought to be written by Mrs. Eddy): “God, the source of all being — the atmosphere, so to speak, in which all living move and have being, — is Radiation, continual action. Man, as His idea, possessing His qualities, also radiates His thought, comprising all that is Good, harmonious, and perfect. That constant radiation of Light is the Armor of Righteousness, which always protects man from his enemy the devil (mortal mind).”

JPalmer
    Participant

Thank you for this post!

Romans 13: 12 struck me this week as well, and after reading your question, “Who wants to go about their day undressed?” I remembered the November 5th, 2017 lesson included this:

Genesis 3
    9 And the Lord God called unto Adam, and said unto him, Where art thou?
    10 And he said, I heard thy voice in the garden, and I was afraid, because I was naked; and I hid myself.
    11 And he said, Who told thee that thou wast naked? Hast thou eaten of the tree, whereof I commanded thee that thou shouldest not eat?

It got me thinking that, as our work is in our consciousness, this nakedness may well have been a metaphor for being susceptible to malicious mind, more than anything else. Adam found himself naked, and instead of getting dressed in the “Armor of Righteousness” he hid himself. (A sure indication of how far his thought dropped.) Why did he hide? He was afraid! If he only needed to cover himself materially, why would he be afraid? It’s a simple enough process. No need to be fearful of that.

To cover yourself spiritually, however, is a much different task. Definitely not as easy as putting on pants! At least in my case, I have needed time to acquire the understanding to learn to think rightly, and to recognize the various methods that error attempts to infiltrate. And, I am not even close to being done.

I knew that in past lessons there were other references to nakedness, so I found a few and added them below without interpretation. These verses took on a new light for me, thinking in this way. I am so grateful for how Plainfield’s lessons build upon each other and bring new understanding and inspiration continually. Thank you!

——————

From the October 29th, 2017 lesson:

6. Romans 8
    35 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword?
    37 Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us.

——————

From the July 16th, 2017 lesson:

6. James 2
    15 If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food,
    16 And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit?
    17 Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.

——————

Finally, in the additional readings from the April 15th, 2017 Bible Study, there was John 21: 7 (which seemed like a strange reference to nakedness at the time, but makes more sense to me now):

7 Therefore that disciple whom Jesus loved saith unto Peter, It is the Lord. Now when Simon Peter heard that it was the Lord, he girt his fisher’s coat unto him, (for he was naked,) and did cast himself into the sea.

Colleen Mostika
    Participant

In following the line thought of nakedness and being clothed, I like the following passage from Revelation and the corresponding passage from Science and Health. The Truth that the real man is clothed with the sun or embraced in eternal light and Love… I find so comforting. I feel the warmth. presence and protection of Divine Love for all mankind.
    SH 560:6-9 Revelation xii. 1.” And there appeared a great wonder in heaven; a woman clothed with the sun, and the moon under her feet, and upon her head a crown of twelve stars.”
    “The Revelator saw also the spiritual ideal as a woman clothed in light, a bride coming down from heaven, wedded to the Lamb of Love. To John, “the bride” and “the Lamb” represented the correlation of divine Principle and spiritual idea, God and His Christ, bringing harmony to earth.”
    SH 561:10-13

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.