Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Bulletin Board. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

The children of God?

The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Announcements Forums Bulletin Board The children of God?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Izzy_S
    Participant

Hi everyone. A happy and blessed new year to all.

I am so grateful for the January 1st Round Table and the wonderful discussion.

I loved learning of the text on page 242 of Miscellany by Mary Baker Eddy, but it has raised me a couple of questions. I am curious to hear how others see this, or if anyone can guide me to where I can study this further.

Mrs Eddy says ‘Unless you fully perceive that you are the child of God, hence perfect, you have no Principle to demonstrate and no rule for its demonstration. By this I do not mean that mortals are the children of God, far from it. In practising Christian Science you must state its Principle correctly, or you forfeit your ability to demonstrate it.’

So my question is regarding this status of ‘child of God’ and what exactly a mortal is, versus a child of God. When I pray for humanity and for those around me I declare they are the children of God, is that not right? What exactly does Mrs Eddy mean by a ‘mortal’?

If I perceive that I am a child of God, should I not be perceiving that others are, regardless of their awareness or faith.

I hope my question makes sense. Thank you!

JPalmer
    Participant

There has been a lot explained and clarified about this in the works of Mary Baker Eddy, the early workers, and also in the Roundtable discussions here in Plainfield (perhaps especially those that coincide with the “Mortals and Immortals” lessons) so I will just offer my thoughts here.

The mistaken view of ourselves is the mortal, brought on by the claim of animal magnetism, or the belief we are separate from God. With that false sense of our origin, we begin to accept human knowledge and its beliefs of heredity, lack, chance, mortality, etc., while personal sense creates divisions and hierarchies between every “mortal” in the form of family, nationality, race, food preferences, etc. It is essentially a fictional character we have been mesmerized to believe we are, existing inside of a mythological counterfeit of God’s creation, and that is why “A wicked mortal is not the idea of God.” (S&H, p. 289)

A child of God is the truth of who we are, and is the standpoint where we must demonstrate from. (see S&H, p. 322:3-7) One definition of Principle which I have found very helpful is “divine origin.” Mrs. Eddy wrote “Principle and its idea is one, and this one is God, omnipotent, omniscient, and omnipresent Being, and His reflection is man and the universe.” (S&H, pgs. 465-466) There is no separation between our divine origin and our true self, nor between any one of us and our fellow brothers and sisters in Christ.

Mary Baker Eddy wrote the following on page 18 of Miscellaneous Writings, which feels best to end this on: “…thou shalt recognize thyself as God’s spiritual child only, and the true man and true woman, the all-harmonious ‘male and female,’ as of spiritual origin, God’s reflection, — thus as children of one common Parent, — wherein and whereby Father, Mother, and child are the divine Principle and divine idea, even the divine ‘Us’ — one in good, and good in One.

“With this recognition man could never separate himself from good, God; and he would necessarily entertain habitual love for his fellow-man. Only by admitting evil as a reality, and entering into a state of evil thoughts, can we in belief separate one man’s interests from those of the whole human family, or thus attempt to separate Life from God. This is the mistake that causes much that must be repented of and overcome.”

Thank you!

Izzy_S
    Participant

Thanks Jeremy! I didn’t see that you had replied but was just very grateful to hear this mentioned in the Round Table.
    Plenty to read and take in in your reply, thanks so much!

Debra Glidden
    Participant

I highly recommend the lecture by Peter V. Ross titled The Challenge to Defeatism which can be found on our YouTube channel and our church website (https://books.plainfieldcs.com/peter-v-ross/lectures-on-christian-science/#article_0016).

To me, this lecture contains much about my and man’s identify as a child of God.

Excerpts from this lecture that stood out to me are:

Man’s Biography

Socrates was perfectly right when he used to advise, “Know thyself,” since if a man gets really to understand himself he will lose his supposed impediments and miseries. Every individual is much of a mystery to himself. He would like to be conversant with his biography, so to speak. The best biography of man ever published, if we except the Gospel of John, may be found in that celebrated book Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures, written by Mary Baker Eddy some sixty or seventy years ago. Page after page refers to spiritual, perfect, immortal man. This man is your true selfhood. Therefore when you read this volume you read about yourself.

“Search the Scriptures,” is the divine injunction, “for in them ye think ye have eternal Life.” To which may be added: “Read Science and Health and you will get acquainted with yourself, to learn that all the ingredients of Life and of Mind and of Soul converge to make you, to make you a man upright and Godlike.”

I have never read Science and Health from the standpoint that I am reading the Truth about myself! I am very eager to again read our textbook!!.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.