Topic: …the day of vengeance of our God | Member Section

Welcome to the lesson forum page. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in. If it is your first time on the new website, please click "Lost Password" and then add the username or email you had on the former website. It will send a reset code to your email and you will be on quickly. Thank you!

…the day of vengeance of our God

We gladly welcome your comments on our Forum and Bulletin Board but we do maintain the right to edit and/or take down anything we feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible; make two short postings of the long posts or send the lengthy ones for publication in our Magazine or Newsletter. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Announcements Forums Christian Science – December 30th, 2018 …the day of vengeance of our God

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  JPalmer 1 year, 5 months ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

JPalmer
    Participant

RESPONSIVE READING: ISAIAH 61 : 1-4, 10, 11
    1. The Spirit of the Lord GOD is upon me; because the Lord hath anointed me to preach good tidings unto the meek; he hath sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to them that are bound;
    2. To proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord, and the day of vengeance of our God; to comfort all that mourn;
    3. To appoint unto them that mourn in Zion, to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness;
    4. And they shall build the old wastes, they shall raise up the former desolations, and they shall repair the waste cities, the desolations of many generations.
    10. I will greatly rejoice in the Lord,
    11. For as the earth bringeth forth her bud, and as the garden causeth the things that are sown in it to spring forth; so the Lord GOD will cause righteousness and praise to spring forth before all the nations.

The word “vengeance” initially felt out of place here, until I looked it up in the 1828 Webster’s (italics added):

The infliction of pain on another, in return for an injury or offense. Such infliction, when it proceeds from malice or more resentment, and is not necessary for the purposes of justice, is revenge, and a most heinous crime. When such infliction proceeds from a mere love of justice, and the necessity of punishing offenders for the support of the laws, it is vengeance and is warrantable and just. In this case, vengeance is a just retribution, recompense or punishment.

That “day of vengeance of our God” seems then to be when we turn from the offensive ashes, mourning, heaviness, and old wastes to “greatly rejoice in the Lord.” The just punishment is error being exposed and then forced to destroy itself.

I love how God gives the power to reverse every claim of the human mind, showing me how to turn away from “the former desolations” of life before Christian Science, to the beauty, joy, and liberty that spring forth from Him.

Thank you very much for this lesson!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.