Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Bulletin Board. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

The Feast of Freedom

The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Announcements Forums Sacrament — July 12th, 2020 The Feast of Freedom

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    parthens
    Participant

“In the college church of Brunswick, Maine, in 1850 sat a little woman. As the Lord’s Supper was administered, she was blinded by tears and convulsed with sobs.
    She had been given a vision of a slave steadfastly refusing to inform on another slave, falling under the blows of a vindictive slave-master, all the while praying for him.

“Almost overcome with the burden which this scene laid on her heart, she rushed from the house of God to her home. Seizing her pen she painted the vision which had swept her soul with such a tempest of emotion, then gathering her family about her, she read what she had just written. So deeply affected were her two little sons of ten and twelve years that one cried aloud in convulsions of weeping, ‘Oh, Mama, slavery is the most cruel thing in the world.’

“This sketch which so moved the children was the foundation of Uncle Tom’s Cabin, and she who wrote it was Harriet Beecher Stowe.”

Thus Mrs. Stowe’s Communion vision spread throughout the world and her book became the 19th century’s highest-selling novel. Banned in the South, it woke the North from its complacency more than any other work of that day, so much so that President Lincoln, on meeting Mrs. Stowe in 1863, is reported to have said, “So you’re the little woman who wrote the book that started the great war.”

The final footsteps of history that brought the revelation of Christian Science to earth were

1.) The exodus of the pilgrims from Europe, “the heroes and heroines who counted not their own lives dear to them, when they sought the New England shores, not as the flying nor as conquerors, but, steadfast in faith and love, to build upon the rock of Christ, the true idea of God — the supremacy of Spirit and the nothingness of matter.” (Miscellaneous Writings by Mary Baker Eddy, p. 176, emphasis added.)

2.) The writing of the Declaration of Independence, which led to the Revolutionary War, which led to the creation of America.

3.) The expansion of the liberties spelled out in the Declaration of Independence, which led to the Civil War and the abolition of slavery in America, and also at last created the ideal spiritual climate for the feet of the angel of Christian Science to find rest on the earth. “Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.”

It is no accident that Christ Jesus chose the feast of Passover — the feast of liberation from human bondage — as the center of his final teaching to his disciples before his crucifixion.

The urgency that the pilgrims felt was a divine urgency passed on to the writers of America’s founding documents, passed on to the Revolutionary War soldier, passed on to Mrs. Stowe, passed on to the Union soldier, passed on to Mary Baker Eddy, who has passed on this same urgency – only greatly magnified – to you, me, any of us today willing to answer her call. “Will you doff your lavender-kid zeal, and become real and consecrated warriors?” (4th of July remarks by Mrs. Eddy, Miscellaneous Writings, p. 177.)

See:
    http://utc.iath.virginia.edu/africam/afesmctt.html

DaleW
    Participant

Thank you so much for this post! What a debt of gratitude is to be paid to those faithful warriors who have come before us, led on by their desire for freedom, their love for God, and their compassion for their fellowman. From this wonderful post can be seen the powerful impetus that God has put on the heart of man for the betterment of all mankind.

In the link (attached): Harriet Beecher Stowe: An Appreciation by Mary Church Terrell, on page 15, can be found this quote:

“After seeing what a miraculous power her book possessed, Mrs. Stowe repeatedly disclaimed the authorship of this child of her heart and brain. ‘I could not control the story, it wrote itself,’ she said, ‘I, the author of Uncle Tom’s Cabin? No indeed, the Lord himself wrote it, and I was but the humblest instrument in his hands. To him alone should be given all the praise.’”

This brought to mind what Mary Baker Eddy wrote:
    “I should blush to write of ‘Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures’ as I have, were it of human origin, and were I, apart from God, its author.” (Miscellany, p. 115:4)

“The works I have written on Christian Science contain absolute Truth, and my necessity was to tell it; . . . I was a scribe under orders; and who can refrain from transcribing what God indites, and ought not that one to take the cup, drink all of it, and give thanks?”
    (Miscellaneous Writings, p. 311:23)

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.