Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Bulletin Board. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

The Greatest Thing in the World

The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Announcements Forums Love — January 30th, 2022 The Greatest Thing in the World

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Ldshap
    Participant

This week’s Lesson on “Love” prompted me to again listen to, and re-read Henry Drummond’s classic lecture/masterpiece, “The Greatest Thing in the World,” which I have not done in a while.

In “The Analysis” section, Mr. Drummond lists, and then expounds upon the 9 “ingredients” of Love – patience, kindness (not “nice-ness”!), generosity, humility, courtesy, unselfishness, good temper, guilelessness, and sincerity. It struck me how he spends the greatest amount of time (by a long shot) expounding on good temper. And, he is also the most firm in his unequivocal statements in this portion of “The Analysis” – stating that this issue is “urgent,” and a “matter of life and death”! I regretfully admit that I have joked in the past, saying something like, “I only lose my temper about 3 or 4 times a year, and it’s always/only when I’m on the phone with ___________ (a technology service provider).”

Well, quite the rebuke I received as I re-listened to Mr. Drummond’s detailed comments on good temper (or the lack, thereof). He states that there are 2 classes of sins – (1) of the body (example – the Prodigal Son); and (2) of the disposition (example – the Prodigal Son’s elder brother). He takes issue with society’s claim that the sins of the body are the worst, and presents his argument that the sins of disposition are worse, calling ill temper “one of the most destructive elements in human nature.” He calls it “a test for love,” and points out that it exposes “disease within,” exemplified in the occasional bubbling up that “betrays some rottenness underneath.” WHOA! While I have specifically been working on this error more diligently over the last couple of years, and while I am grateful to have made noticeable progress, by re-visiting this wonderful work by Mr. Drummond this past week, it has become a catalyst for me to work harder now, towards finally overcoming the allowing of ANY future “flashes of temper,” which betray “a want of patience, a want of kindness, a want of generosity, a want of courtesy, and a want of unselfishness” – a want of all that is Love!

I am very grateful for this Lesson on “Love” – “The Greatest Thing in the World” indeed! And, what a wonderful blessing is the audio recording, along with the written copy, that is available to all on the Plainfield website – THANK YOU!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.