Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Forum. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

“The Messiah" by Handel

The Forum is dedicated to each week's lesson, and may be used to post questions, comments, and constructive replies that strive to uncover the inspired meaning of the text. The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible; make two short postings of the long posts or send the lengthy ones for publication in our Magazine or Newsletter. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Announcements Forums Christian Science — December 27th, 2020 “The Messiah" by Handel

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    spencel
    Participant

Today while searching our website I came across the article below by Parthens from a previous forum post. It has an encouraging message and a timely story about Handel and “The Messiah” which made me appreciate the music more.

“‘In 1898, when work had accumulated to such an extent that I [Judge Hannah] wrote Mrs. Eddy for permission to resign some of my places, she asked me to adopt a method of relief by taking certain hours each day for self work, during which I was not to be interrupted by anyone for any purpose. She said that had she not adopted such a course, she never could have accomplished her work.” … Therefore, whenever I am tempted to feel overwhelmed with the work that heaven has assigned me to perform, may God help me to interrupt myself: to consecrate every moment, every breath, ‘from the rising of the sun to the going down thereof,’ to the task of surrendering.”
    Click on link to read whole article:“God to Earth … God to Earth … Come In, Please”by Parthens – 10/07/2014

spencel
    Participant

“After Handel received the libretto to ‘The Messiah,’ made up entirely of sacred scripture, he was inspired to take no action whatsoever, but instead decided to devote his attention to God for a season. … Later, Handel testified that during those 3 days he had been taken to heaven, ‘absent from the body, present with the Lord’ in a state of continual Christ-consciousness. After that experience, he wrote the massive score of ‘The Messiah’ in just 21 days. He never charged a penny for any of the performances, insisting that the work was not his: that he was only the secretary of heaven’s musical dictation.” by Parthens

Ldshap
    Participant

THANK YOU SO MUCH for this post! I had the MOST DELIGHTFUL Christmas, starting with the WONDERFUL Christmas Eve Candlelight Service, and then on Christmas Day I read this post, followed up by reading Parthens’ 2014 article that you mentioned. I was so moved in reading about Handel’s experience, and since I already had one of my CDs of “The Messiah” in my CD player, I immediately turned it up and listened with so much joy, while I continued my deeper study of Mrs. Eddy’s poem, Christ and Christmas. During this holy time, I received a “Merry Christmas” text from a former client, who has studied Christian Science in the past, and I shared the information with her in my reply. She was thrilled to learn this fascinating fact. Otherwise, I also shared the Peter V. Ross article entitled, “Remedy for Lawlessness” with 2 other Christian Scientists, and one forwarded it on to 10 others. When she asked the source of the article, I shared the PF website with her, and also emailed her both of Peter V. Ross’s books that I got off the PF website (Lectures on CS, pages 215-216 – has the similar article entitled “Cure for Lawlessness”) and she expressed much gratitude for receiving them. WOW! The PERFECT Christmas Eve and Day! Thanks again for this post and Parthens’ article!!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.