Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Bulletin Board. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

The One Ego

The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Colleen Mostika
    Participant

In this week’s lesson from Science and Health (pg.281 lines14-17)quote 2 reads: ” The one Ego, the one Mind, or Spirit called God is infinite individuality, which supplies all form and comeliness and which reflects reality and divinity in individual spiritual man and things.”

This gives me a clear sense that God is doing the action. God is infinite individuality. God supplies all form and comeliness. (From the 1828 Webster’s Dictionary- Comeliness can mean “That which is becoming, fit or suitable in form or manner. comeliness of a person implies symmetry or due proportion of parts, comeliness of manner means decorum and propriety. ) Current modern day references such as Vocabulary.com give us synonyms including aesthetic, beauty, loveliness, gorgeousness, handsomeness to name a few.)
    I especially like the idea of symmetry and due proportion of parts. I see God’s work is precise, exact, symmetrical and in due proportion. So, to me, I can see every idea that God has made is in exact proportion and is perfect to suit the need or requirement of that idea and is a perfect, indestructible spiritual idea forever held in Mind.
    What a joy and comfort it is to know that we all have such a loving Father!!

spencel
    Participant

Thank you. This citation was given to me to think about this week by a Plainfield practitioner. To understand our spiritual individuality is necessary. I came across an early article that I took some excerpts out that helped me with this subject.

“To every one who studies Christian Science, this choice is sooner or later presented: individuality versus personality.
    When we are first told: “You must get rid of will, and of personal aims and desires,” those of us who have a strong sense of our own personality are seized with a dread of losing our individuality,…. The question is an­swered as we begin to grasp more clearly the idea of man’s individuality.
    We cannot look in two directions at once. Personality and individuality are antipodes. The individual man is the man of God’s creating, the man made in the image and like­ness of Good.
    The individual is not developed from the person; they are absolutely opposed, and it is only as we destroy our sense of personality, that the individuality of ourselves and others can appear to us. Personality will obscure individuality till the glorious day comes when the false sense of things will disappear forever; ‘when the sense-dreams vanish, and reality appears’ (S. & H. p. 312).” Individuality VS. Personality by E. M. Ramsy Journal May 1903

Colleen Mostika
    Participant

Thank you Spencel for this citation. It is very helpful. To look at the individual and not the personality takes practice. I’m just starting to get this idea. I can see the separation between that which is the true idea and the mask of personality in which evil hides behind.

Thank you so much!!
    Colleen

Gary
    Participant

Thank you both. This is such an important point. Gaining the discipline of seeing the image and likeness of God in each individual, in spite of the outward appearance of personality, is essential to healing. Mrs. Evans used to remind us that when we see someone acting badly or sickly, we should separate the error from the person, love the person as the image of God and destroy the error impersonally. The error (personality) never belongs to anyone! This is having that mind which was also in Christ. This is practicing the science of Christianity. It may be a big challenge to discipline thought to do this, but it is the greatest freedom and joy.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.