Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Bulletin Board. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

The prophet of to-day

The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Announcements Forums Spirit – August 7th, 2016 The prophet of to-day

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Gary
    Participant

In the story of Moses gathering the seventy elders of Israel together (actually 68, two of them stayed in the village) and seeing them prophesy, Moses rebuked Joshua for complaining about their prophesying. Moses exhorts Joshua, “would God that all the Lord’s people were prophets, and that the Lord would put his spirit upon them!” Moses knew that everyone could have this special relationship with God (Spirit) if they would just earn it.

Mrs. Eddy explains clearly this phenomenon. “When sufficiently advanced in Science to be in harmony with the truth of being, men become seers and prophets involuntarily…” (S&H, p 84). On page 98, she writes, “The prophet of to-day beholds in the mental horizon the signs of these times,…” To earn this relationship, one must be “sufficiently advanced in Science to be in harmony with the truth of being.” This is so encouraging. Practicing Christian Science is not a magic show. It is not hit or miss. It is learning how to be “in harmony with the truth of being.”

So, how do we gain this advancement in Science? On page 461 of S&H, she lays out two requirements: “Systematic teaching and the student’s spiritual growth and experience in practice are requisite for a thorough comprehension of Christian Science.” We get the systematic teaching each Saturday and Sunday morning with the Bible Study and Roundtable. But there is no substitute for the second requirement, which is to put this teaching into practice every day. The “spiritual growth and experience in practice” is how we prove to ourselves the truth of this Science and thus gain understanding, rather than languishing in mere belief.

The seventy elders of Israel earned their relationship with God. So can each one of us.

Fairlie
    Participant

Thank you for this explanation, and to Plainfield for all the teaching, following Paul “in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue.”(I Cor.14) And for the encouragement from our practitioners and the testimonies of others to advance in our practice, as we move forward in this line of light, and our seeing does become gradually more advanced, inspired, as we work and seek to obey.

Sharon
    Participant

“The second requirement, which is to put this teaching into practice every day.”

I was taught in this church that if you don’t put this understanding into practice it is like a car on blocks, the wheels spin but you don’t go anywhere. When you put the Truth into practice it is like the wheels on your car are on the road and you are moving. Let’s not spin our wheels. Let’s practice every day what we are learning in this church.

Thank God for Christian Science.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.