Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Forum. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

the reward of the inheritance

The Forum is dedicated to each week's lesson, and may be used to post questions, comments, and constructive replies that strive to uncover the inspired meaning of the text. The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible; make two short postings of the long posts or send the lengthy ones for publication in our Magazine or Newsletter. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Announcements Forums Probation After Death – October 28th, 2018 the reward of the inheritance

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    JPalmer
    Participant

RESPONSIVE READING: COLOSSIANS 3 : 1-4, 12-15, 24
    1. If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God.
    2. Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.
    3. Your life is hid with Christ in God.
    4. When Christ, who is our life, shall appear, then shall ye also appear with him in glory.
    12. Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering;
    13. Forbearing one another, and forgiving one another, if any man have a quarrel against any: even as Christ forgave you, so also do ye.
    14. And above all these things put on charity, which is the bond of perfectness.
    15. And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to the which also ye are called in one body; and be ye thankful.
    24. Knowing that of the Lord ye shall receive the reward of the inheritance: for ye serve the Lord Christ.

While reading this, I kept thinking how my life was before Plainfield. I rather unwittingly followed the reverse of each of the above statements, which when written out is quite certainly a recipe for a horrible life:

If your thought is lowered into the human mind, you desire only earthly things, and your mortality is plain to all. That mortal mind – the lies that bring death – will filter all your experiences, and those experiences will be miserable and unfulfilling. You will feel lost and alone, and will be hard-hearted, cruel, conceited, self-centered, quick-tempered, impatient, and prone to holding grudges and seeking revenge. Finding lack everywhere, you will hoard anything you value. You will feel at war with yourself constantly, and slowly lose all gratitude for life. Finally, mortal mind will give the consequence of its inheritance: Mortality.

Only turning to God saved me from all that, and brought me here. Learning Christian Science, and being a member of this church, it becomes clearer each day how God has given us what we need to live a life of purpose and joy.

I am grateful to this week’s lesson writer, and last week’s as well; it took that long for me to get this from Colossians 3. Thank you!

MaryBeth
    Participant

Thank you! What a description of living out one’s human destiny in misery and thank God we have found such a better way in Christian Science – living our divine and joyous God-given destiny! And yes, whenever we have an overlap like this one between two lessons, we feel God is emphasizing an important point to us! We can always reach deeper and learn more about God’s Love for each and everyone of us as you have done.

Susanne
    Participant

Thank you Jeremy for showing the stark contrast of a life with and without the Christ–isn’t it true that once we leave that “before” template–we cannot ever forget the difference in how far we’ve come?! “There’s no going back”…and gratitude for how far we’ve come truly does keep us safe! I think I always read Colossians as a set of really nice words and ideas…more like nice theories for other people, because me… I was busy… and ‘maybe one day’ things would come together. Fortunately all roads led to Plainfield. Being here taught me how to make it come to life, how to get a backbone, and how to begin to “walk the walk”. Only here have I begun to understand “the reward of the inheritance.” As the “elect of God”, our work is cut out for us. But this work is truly rewarding and provides full employment and ultimate job satisfaction!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.