Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Bulletin Board. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

The Right and Wrong Way to Inquire of the Lord

The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Espaid
    Participant

1 Samuel 28: 6, 7
    And when Saul inquired of the Lord, the Lord answered him not, neither by dreams, nor by U-rim, nor by prophets.
    Then said Saul unto his servants, Seek me a woman that hath a familiar spirit, that I may go to her, and inquire of her…

From Benson Commentary: “…since he did not continue to inquire of him (God), but went to a diviner, it was all one as if he had not inquired at all; for he did it faintly, coldly, and indifferently. … He whose heart is perfect with God, lifts up his eyes unto him, and fixes them on him; hoping in him, though he doth not presently hear him; and perseveres in his expectation and confidence, firmly setting a resolution to wait upon him. But so did not Saul, who was remiss and negligent, saying in his heart, If God will not hear me, I will go and consult a familiar spirit.”

“He did not seek in faith, but with a double, unstable mind.” (Matthew Henry)

This account of Saul and the unfortunate events that happened to him when he decided to seek answers from something so opposite to God shows how important it is to not be deceived to look to any supposed power apart from God for anything. Mrs. Eddy makes it very clear:

S&H p 183:
    “Divine Mind rightly demands man’s entire obedience, affection, and strength. No reservation is made for any lesser loyalty. Obedience to Truth gives man power and strength. Submission to error superinduces loss of power.”

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.