Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Forum. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

The same was in the beginning with God

The Forum is dedicated to each week's lesson, and may be used to post questions, comments, and constructive replies that strive to uncover the inspired meaning of the text. The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible; make two short postings of the long posts or send the lengthy ones for publication in our Magazine or Newsletter. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Announcements Forums Christian Science – June 30th, 2019 The same was in the beginning with God

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    JPalmer
    Participant

1. John 1 : 1-5
    1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
    2 The same was in the beginning with God.
    3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.
    4 In him was life; and the life was the light of men.
    5 And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.

The same was in the beginning with God. This verse stood out to me today. Because of what I have learned here, I can see this means that all that is real and right and true timelessly exists, and, it all is available to me and everyone, just waiting to be revealed and recognized. Not something new – though it has felt new to me – but rather an understanding that what is truly real about myself and all existed right at the beginning with God.

I am so grateful that, through all I am learning here in Plainfield, there is this steady increase in understanding (decrease in resistance) that allows me to know myself and others as God made us. Ignorance was definitely not bliss. What a blessing Christian Science and this church is! Thank you!

JPalmer
    Participant

There is much in our books about revelation, so I am including a few excerpts here that gave me further clarity on this.

Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures was a revelation from God. Hence as one reads it, he is led back into the Mind of God.

From Mary Baker Eddy, Her Spiritual Precepts, by Gilbert Carpenter

Christian Science comes to establish in human thought the divine facts which then assert themselves there, transforming the human consciousness and giving it more of a divine aspect. A human being touched by Science is already going through something that Jesus the Christ went through. That is, he is changing, or redeeming, his consciousness. As the basis of that redemption and the foundation of all activity by which such redemption shall be accomplished, we have that one, infinite, divine Principle, Life, Truth, Love, the one God, Spirit. This is no theoretical personality, or some kind of distant Deity, but the infinite Mind revealing itself here. Where? Wherever thought permits revelation to take place.

Wherever a human being opens the door of consciousness and says, “I would know God,” there Christian Science begins at once to instruct, inform, enlighten, and gradually to redeem consciousness. As this takes place, the revelation of what God is, is seen to be man in His image and likeness. There is a satisfaction that is more than individual in this, for it has a universal meaning. As one awakens sufficiently to discern his own selfhood and to demonstrate it, he discovers that the divine Ego is finding expression in everything he thinks or says, in all that he knows and does, in all that he desires or wishes or has ambition to achieve. It is the divine Ego which is the only I AM, providing the basis for all right action and true achievement. “I shall be satisfied when I awake in thy likeness.”

From The 1936 Primary Class, by Bicknell Young, page 49

Instruction that is Truth is a divine message to man. Truth is God or Mind in self-revelation. Truth is God Himself. Truth is the “I AM” of every individual.

From Addresses by Martha Wilcox, page 134

Instead of creation, you could say revelation, because “creation” means that God reveals Himself. It is as though God says I AM. And that is man. In Science and Health, it says Spirit constitutes man. There is nothing else to him but Spirit. God and man are the same substance. There you have your oneness. When you say he is made of Spirit, his being is Spirit, his intelligence is Spirit, all that constitutes him is Spirit, then you get some idea of what reflection means. We know we exist, and the object of our study is to find out what we are. Find out what God is and really demonstrate it. We demonstrate what we are.

From The 1936 Primary Class, by Bicknell Young, page 55

Susanne
    Participant

Thank you Jeremy. I love what you said here: “…all that is real and right and true timelessly exists, and, it all is available to me and everyone, just waiting to be revealed and recognized.”

And what great excerpts you’ve provided here! I love that this Science is something that we can rely on and apply to every moment in our lives. It’s not mystery–shrouded in mist, where we plead and hope that God will hear us–but revelation. “Truth is God or Mind in self-revelation.” (Martha Wilcox)

“A human being touched by Science is already going through something that Jesus the Christ went through. That is, he is changing, or redeeming, his consciousness.” (Bicknell Young) I just love the infinite opportunity we have right now, to listen, learn and demonstrate!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.