Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Bulletin Board. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

The sower and the seed

The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Announcements Forums Truth – January 24th, 2016 The sower and the seed

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    MaryBeth
    Participant

The parable of the sower and the seed in this week’s lesson is such an important one. I once thought these parables had nothing to do with me – but was I ever wrong! The parable of the sower and the seed is one I think about often. It has certainly helped steady my walk on the “straight and narrow.” There are so many ways to be easily flipped off even when one’s first intentions are quite sincere and admirable. It is usually unhandled pride, ego, self-justification or just plain laziness that turns people away – and if they only realized, they turn from their highest good! The straight and narrow is not a path of drudgery – it is a path of great joy!

Lil
    Participant

Thank you for the word “drudgery”. Not a drudgery came to me when I read in the Responsive Reading Psalm 100:2, “Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing.” What could be more rewarding to each of us and mankind?

JPalmer
    Participant

Thank you for this. I certainly have found that it is not a path of drudgery. Drudgery was, for me, when I had spent years unknowingly allowing mortal mind to make thorny ground of me. There is no joy in that! I am so grateful that Truth is consistent, persistent, and unchanging — no matter how AM would resist, there is no lie that can overcome Truth. What a wonderful God we have! Thank you for this lesson.

Michael Pupko
    Participant

I opened up the Blue Book to p. 169;
    ‘The strong soil in human nature is selfish apathy. The wayside soil is transient laughing vain loving-ease character that never can be relied (on) in time of need. The sun struck mind is one that resists the light if this light demand the relinquishment of all that tends to darken life, dim conscience, and demand other gods. The good soil is the active honest heart. Where this exists there is energy, fidelity, success and reward gained by the individual, not a gift of God but the wages of uprightness and hard work, struggle and victory.’ (From article entitled ‘Soldier, Seed, and Soil’.)

That wasn’t so bad!! I allow myself to dislike typing but have to overcome that silly (and destructive error) because what better way to share God’s Word. Mrs. Eddy proved that with the days of study and prayer that she put in to give us God’s perfection.

richato
    Participant

Thought people might find it interesting that Vincent Van Gogh painted this parable. Many of his paintings have a Christian theme. He started out his life ministering to miners.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.