Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Bulletin Board. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

The unclean spirit

The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    MaryBeth
    Participant

The story of the unclean spirit found in Matthew 12 of this week’s lesson is an important one. I know when I have spent much time “trying” to clear my thought of negativity and I concentrated only on that part of the process, I failed to fill it with the “enduring, the good and the true” – I made a big reality of the error and yes I was in a worse state than before! This is why Mrs. Eddy has so lovingly given us “What Our Leader Says” found on page 210 of Miscellany –“Beloved Christian Scientists, keep your minds so filled with Truth and Love, that sin, disease, and death cannot enter them. It is plain that nothing can be added to the mind already full. There is no door through which evil can enter, and no space for evil to fill in a mind filled with goodness. Good thoughts are an impervious armor; clad therewith you are completely shielded from the attacks of error of every sort. And not only yourselves are safe, but all whom your thoughts rest upon are thereby benefited.”

Susanne
    Participant

This story in Matthew 12 reminds me of a period of my life when I was clueless on how to live Christian Science, as I would only use it for intermittent relief but made no effort to be obedient to the laws of God.

At the time I had had a very abusive boyfriend (my own stupidity got me there) who finally exited my life. I felt free as a bird! But although I’m sure I felt grateful to God for such freedom, I was not putting Him first in my life, but just bumbling along.

Shortly thereafter a strange thing happened: I bumped into a friend of my former boyfriend in the street, listened to his crazy stories, and became entwined in a bizarre business proposition that would be my downfall (as well as others) and bring me to my knees. Looking back, I had certainly not kept my mind “filled with Truth and Love” and so was not alert to what was happening to me. I fell hook, line and sinker for the devil’s work until I hit rock bottom. I suffered total humiliation and monetary loss, but in retrospect it was the best thing that could have happened, as it burned pride out of me. I found Plainfield a few years later. Today that whole experience is like a bad dream, which is what it was.

Every time I read this passage in Matthew I am reminded of how I had not filled the void in my life with God’s truth, nor was I clad with good thoughts so as to be “shielded from the attacks of error of every sort,” and I easily became handled by the devil. I’m so grateful for how far I’ve come since then. The teachings in Plainfield got me on the right path!

MaryBeth
    Participant

Wonderful example of how this parable applies! Thank you.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.