Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Forum. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

The unrighteous mammon

The Forum is dedicated to each week's lesson, and may be used to post questions, comments, and constructive replies that strive to uncover the inspired meaning of the text. The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible; make two short postings of the long posts or send the lengthy ones for publication in our Magazine or Newsletter. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    MaryBeth
    Participant

Many years ago, I read a passage from the “We Knew Mary Baker Eddy” (4th series) book, in which Mrs. Eddy explains Luke 16:10-12, found in our lesson this week. It was written by Martha Wilcox, who was a worker in her home. She writes, “Mrs. Eddy opened her Bible and read to me from Luke: ‘He that is faithful in that which is least is faithful also in much: and he that is unjust in the least is unjust also in much. If therefore ye have not been faithful in the unrighteous mammon, who will commit to your trust the true riches? And if ye have not been faithful in that which is another’s man’s, who shall give you that which is your own?’ Mrs. Eddy, no doubt, realized that at my stage of growth, I thought of creation – that is all things- as separated into two groups, one group spiritual and the other group material, and that somehow, I must get rid of the group I called material. But during that lesson, I caught my first glimpse of the fact that all right, useful things – which I had been calling “the unrighteous mammon” – were mental and represented spiritual ideas. She showed me that unless I were faithful and orderly with the objects of sense that made up my present mode of consciousness, there could never be revealed to me the truer riches of progressive higher revealments of substance and things.” This statement spoke directly to me, because I, too, had separated creation into two groups. It left me almost thunderstruck. I was so very grateful for this clarification and really yearned to read more of this type of literature. It wasn’t until many years later our Independent
    Church received the blessed gift of the Association Addresses of Martha Wilcox, and I devoured reading it like a hungry man searching for Truth. Thank God we now have these priceless books available to us.

Susanne
    Participant

Thank you so much for explaining this, it is very helpful.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.