Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Bulletin Board. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

The vanity of empty works

The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Announcements Forums Life – July 21st, 2019 The vanity of empty works

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    JPalmer
    Participant

6. Ecclesiastes 2
    11 Then I looked on all the works that my hands had wrought, and on the labour that I had laboured to do: and, behold, all was vanity and vexation of spirit, and there was no profit under the sun.

From the 1828 Webster’s:
    Vanity
    2. Fruitless desire or endeavor.
    3. Trifling labor that produces no good.
    4. Emptiness; untruth

Reading that verse this week, I’ve been thinking, “I know what you mean, Preacher.” Sometimes I wonder how much of my previous existence was “Fruitless desire or endeavor.” After many years of laboring without God in my life, I was left very empty and vexed, and with little to no profit – of any kind – to show for it.

11. 264
    When we learn the way in Christian Science and recognize man’s spiritual being, we shall behold and understand God’s creation, — all the glories of earth and heaven and man.

This statement has been proven more and more true to me these past few years. But even in the first few weeks of God bringing me here, there was enough of a change that the work I was given to do didn’t feel fruitless or empty. I have a great fondness for thinking back on that time, because of how quickly I seemed to be brought from the verge of oblivion to the beginning of a great and wonderful journey – “from darkness to light” as said in that last Fruitage in our textbook.

I am so grateful for Christian Science, and for this church: I love to be a part of this mission as it reaches others. I know there are people out there right now feeling as bleak as I once did, and I am so thankful to God that He has given the world this Science, and this church. When their own empty works bring them low enough, they will call to God as I did and He will answer! Thank you!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.