Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Forum. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

The wheat and the tares

The Forum is dedicated to each week's lesson, and may be used to post questions, comments, and constructive replies that strive to uncover the inspired meaning of the text. The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible; make two short postings of the long posts or send the lengthy ones for publication in our Magazine or Newsletter. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    JPalmer
    Participant

After reading the parable of the wheat and the tares in the lesson, I found the following from a letter written by Mrs. Eddy. It is from Course In Divinity And General Collectanea, (the “blue book”), page 127, and it is a good reminder to me that the work we do is in our consciousness.

You are growing. The Father has sealed you, and the opening of these seals must not surprise you. The character of Christ is wrought out in our lives by just such processes. The tares and wheat appear to grow together until the harvest; then the tares are first gathered, that is, you have seasons of seeing your errors – and afterwards by reason of this very seeing, the tares are burned, the error is destroyed. Then you see Truth plainly and the wheat is ‘gathered into barns,’ it becomes permanent in the understanding. The healing will grow more easy and be more immediate as you realize that God, good, is all, and good is Love. You must gain Love, and lose the false sense called love. You must feel the Love that never faileth, – that perfect sense of divine power that makes healing no longer power but grace. Then you will have the Love that casts out fear and when fear is gone doubt is gone and your work is done. Why? Because it never was undone.

Susanne
    Participant

Thank you for sharing this beautiful passage!

chardelle

Yes, thank you for sharing this. I was thinking this morning that the tares can be removed as we grow. ” The perfect Mind sends forth perfection, for God is Mind….Science separates the wheat from the tares, through the realization of God as ever present and of man as reflecting the divine likeness.” “Heaven is not a locality but a divine state of Mind in which the manifestations of Mind are harmonious and immortal.” I say often during the day now, being is holiness, harmonious and immortal.
    also, God is my life, my health, my understanding,and my joy. Be gone tares!

spencel
    Participant

The above quote that says “You must gain Love, and lose the false sense called love.”, and the mention of human goodness during our Bible Study today made me remember something I had read awhile ago from the Red Book, published I believe by Richard Oakes. It is an essay ascribed to Mary Baker Eddy on p. 57

“The letter alone without a due proportion of the spirit of Christian Science, almost inhumanizes a mortal; it chastises his material mode of love, of feeling, or being either kind or true, and if he has not gained the spiritual sense of those, there is nothing left to him but the knowledge of a false sense of goodness which he must either loathe and lose the false sense of goodness, or else, having it, be consciously false to himself, and of necessity false to others. ‘To thine own self be true and it must follow as the night the day thou canst not then be false to any man.” – Shakespeare.”

This quote spoke to me of my many confusions before coming here to Plainfield. I did not know what to do with feelings or how to pray over them. I also believed strongly that to be favored you must be humanly good. This certainly open the door for me to be false to myself and others which resulted in many years of unidentified suffering for me and those I came in contact with. Now through the grace of God, this church and practitioner support I have begun to unwind these snarls.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 8 months ago by spencel.
    • This reply was modified 5 years, 8 months ago by spencel.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.