Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Bulletin Board. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

the work of righteousness

The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Announcements Forums Matter – March 24th, 2019 the work of righteousness

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    spencel
    Participant

“And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.” Isaiah 32

Websters 1828:
    “Righteousness: Purity of heart and rectitude of life; conformity of heart and life to the divine law. It includes all we call justice, honesty and virtue, with holy affections;”

Therefore if I want true and lasing peace, I must do the the work of righteousness. I am grateful for what was brought out in our Wednesday meeting March 20, 2019, during the testimonies, regarding handling animal magnetism, “the work of righteousness” in our lives. I know that before Plainfield my exposure to any teaching regarding animal magnetism (a belief in a power apart from God) was worse than useless. It was pervasive throughout the organization. It ranged from “no big deal” to “paranoid.” It was “peace peace where there is no peace” and left one completely undefended against evil influence. Since arriving here and putting into practice step by step in my daily life the rules, precepts, etc. that are taught correctly here from the Bible and Mary Baker Eddy’s writings I have found a peace that I have never experienced before. This comes from learning to put God first, practicing moral courage, Watching, discipline, honesty, letting go of resentment, the list goes on.

The following was brought out during the Wednesday meeting in a teaching testimony:
    “Do we not all understand cowardice never conquers? To get rid of temptation of any sort or to get out of a difficulty, we are not passive and let the wrong rule the right, but we struggle and thus conquer. We should not avoid the things that hurt us, but repeat them and meet them as their superior. Disease is a coward that leaves when you are not afraid of it.” Extract from letter by Mary Baker Eddy from Divinity Course and General Collectanea, (the “Blue Book”)

Websters 1828:
    “Passive: not acting; unresisting; not opposing; receiving without resistance;
    Cowardice: Want of courage; timidity; fear”

Neither quality is expressing righteousness. Righteousness is not letting the wrong rule the right. I am so grateful for the continual teaching and example here that helps us practice true righteousness and be soldiers for God.

chardelle

Matthew 5:6 Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.