Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Bulletin Board. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

"There Is A River"

The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    parthens
    Participant

“Divide the name Adam into two syllables, and it reads, a dam, or obstruction” (SH 338).

“RIVER. Channel of thought” (SH 593).

The Book of Genesis tells of a great river that flows out of Paradise, having 4 branches. For watching and prayer, it is profitable to study the characteristics of each branch as defined by Mrs. Eddy in the Glossary chapter of Science and Health:

“EUPHRATES (river). Divine Science encompassing the universe and man; the true idea of God; a type of the glory which is to come; metaphysics taking the place of physics; the reign of righteousness” (SH 585).

“GIHON (river). The rights of woman acknowledged morally, civilly, and socially” (SH 587).

“HIDDEKEL (river). Divine Science understood and acknowledged” (SH 588).

“PISON (river). The love of the good and beautiful, and their immortality” (SH 593).

The Glossary descriptions of these 4 mighty channels of thought can be likened to explosives indispensable for blasting through the dams of personal sense that is ever-seeking to restrain their currents, which must flow freely — the survival and health of civilization depend on the free flow of all of these streams.

“Blest river of salvation,
    Pursue thine onward way;
    Flow thou to every nation,
    Nor in thy richness stay:
    Stay not till all the lowly
    Triumphant reach their home:
    Stay not till all the holy
    Proclaim, The Lord is come” (Hymn. 335:2).

“See, the streams of living waters,
    Springing from eternal Love,
    Well supply your sons and daughters,
    And all fear of want remove.
    None can faint, while such a river
    Ever shall their thirst assuage.
    Grace, which like the Lord, the giver,
    Never fails from age to age” (Hymn. 479:3) .

It might be a profitable Bible study to relate specifically how each branch may be dammed or liberated: how operable are they on earth today in terms of fulfilling their respective functions as described in the Glossary?

A final thought from Mrs. Eddy:

“I insisted upon placing the serpent behind the woman in the picture ‘Seeking and Finding.’ My artist at the easel objected, as he often did, to my sense of Soul’s expression through the brush; but, as usual, he finally yielded. A few days afterward, the following from Rotherham’s translation of the New Testament was handed to me, — I had never before seen it: ‘And the serpent cast out of his mouth, behind the woman, water as a river, that he might cause her to be river-borne'” (Mis. 373:3-11).

This last quote above demonstrates how personal sense not only seeks to dam the river of God and its branches, but also seeks to replace the river of God entirely: with a counterfeit river (channel of thought) rushing violently in a direction utterly opposite that of God, leading not to heaven, but to hell. Nevertheless, Mrs. Eddy stayed her course and overcame every malicious thrust directed toward her — and so must you and I.

MaryBeth
    Participant

That is wonderful! We should do a Bible study about the rivers sometime. Thank you Parthens!

janetm
    Participant

Thank you for such a beautiful post. After reading this post hymn 182 came to thought;

Make channels for the steams of Love, where they may broadly run; and Love has over
    flowing streams, To fill them every one.
    But if at any time we cease such channels to provide, the very founts of love for us
    will then seem parched and dried.
    For we must share, if we would keep that blessing from above; They cease to have
    who cease to give, Such is the law of Love.

Susanne
    Participant

Thank you for this post. It never ceases to amaze me how thought-provoking and inspiring the Bible and Science & Health are–I’m glad we have eternity to drink from these living waters!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.