Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Bulletin Board. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

There is no power apart from God.

The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Announcements Forums Doctrine of Atonement — October 17th, 2021 There is no power apart from God.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    spencel
    Participant

“There is no power apart from God. Omnipotence has all-power, and to acknowledge any other power is to dishonor God.” Science and Health by Mary Baker Eddy, page 228

“Power: Force; strength; energy; influence; command; government; dominion; ruler; sway; authority; right; dominion; operation; ability.” Websters 1828 Dictionary

I was given this citation to work with from our Bible lesson this week. I took each word from the dictionary definition and put it in place of the word “power”. Such as – There is no force apart from God.

The word “dishonor” is to refuse, reproach, lesson the reputation, lack of reverence and respect.

DaleW
    Participant

Thank you for this post! I’ve been using these definitive words you found for “power” — it really brings it home in every circumstance, every phase of life, that God is the only power!!

It makes me think of a statement from Science and Health (544:14), “No mortal mind has the might or right or wisdom to create or to destroy.” This statement was included in a healing experience I read. It was held to and resulted in the overcoming of a very dangerous situation, lives were transformed, and many turned to Christian Science.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.