Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Forum. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

They Immediately Left

The Forum is dedicated to each week's lesson, and may be used to post questions, comments, and constructive replies that strive to uncover the inspired meaning of the text. The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible; make two short postings of the long posts or send the lengthy ones for publication in our Magazine or Newsletter. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Announcements Forums Sacrament – January 10th, 2016 They Immediately Left

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Florence
    Participant

Matt 4:20, 22
    20 And they straightway left their nets, and followed him.
    22     And they immediately left the ship and their father, and followed him.

These verses point to the immediacy demonstrated by the disciples to follow Christ. How would I have responded, and how do I respond now to the same Christ calling today? When facing a challenge and the voice of Truth comes, do I leave the doubts, human opinions, materia medica beliefs and stay comforted by the Truths of the Christ’s message which comes to all in time of need? These lessons should help us to make CS more practical!

Shahidat
    Participant

I was pondering this same thought morning as well. What had to be the state of mind for men to “straightway” and “immediately” leave the only livelihoods they’ve known ,their families and homes to follow Jesus without a thought of self? I was asking myself, “Would I, could I do it?-Would I be worthy to be called and if not – why not? Fear would most likely be my deterrent which is a clear indication that I’ve got a way’s to go to not be so “of” this world. Mary Baker Eddy was called and it was never an easy path but she persisted.

spencel
    Participant

Thank you for these posts. They helped me think more about what it means to follow. From the definitions of the word “follow” I realized we are always following something, even if we think we are sitting idly by. Hence the importance of watching thought as we are continually reminded here at Plainfield. The words obey, imitate and yield in the definition really surprised me. Thank you for this lesson this week.

Strong’s Concordance
    1811 eksakolouthéō (“follow”) – properly, completely follow (literally, “wholly out from”), i.e. closely imitating (emulating) someone as a model or leader.

Strong’s Exhaustive Concordance

follow:
    From ek and akoloutheo; to imitate, obey, yield to — follow.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.