Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Bulletin Board. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

Think on these things

The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Announcements Forums Mind – February 21st, 2016 Think on these things

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Gary
    Participant

Here we have the recipe of what to think about. Thinking means to have ideas, to judge, to meditate, and to reflect. We have a choice all the time as to what to think on. It’s a good question to ask myself, “am I thinking that which is real or am I thinking about that which is unreal?

Here we have it. That which is true, honest, just, pure, lovely and of good report is real. Why? Because they are of God. That which is false, dishonest, unjust, impure, ugly and of bad report is unreal. Why? Because they are not of God. So don’t waste your time with them. They don’t do you or anyone else any good.

• This topic was modified 8 years, 1 month ago by Gary.

how true!

I never trust myself to discern what is Godly/real and not Godly/ unreal, because most of the time my sense of I” gets me into trouble.

My favourite prayer which I Use is

“Father Mother, if you don’t want me to be thinking about this thing right now, then tell me what I should be thinking about” and then waiting expectedly for a call or a thought to come.

The self idea of whether something is good or bad or real or unreal means Im the starting point for decision and for me thats fatal. but as you say, we can recognise good things, not by material sensation but by their eternity and lack of material measurement.

jacob45
    Participant

The last few days I have this understanding that since Mind is All, I should experience Mind only. My Father-Mother Love, I experience you, I see you, perceive you everywhere. I just have to ditch this suggestion of personal, mortal, material non-sense. Which is the only enemy we face. Often we are more like a pendulum, swinging between evil and good. (S&H 246.) selfishness and sensuality causing constant retrogression (S&H 22) swinging between nothing and something. (S&H 23) swinging between the real and the unreal. (S&H 360)

How can we fail to experience All?

MaryBeth
    Participant

To judge whether a thought is “Godly/real or ungodly/unreal” you can simply ask “is this a thought from God who loves me?” Declare daily you have the mind of Christ. “My mind is divine good, and cannot drift into evil.” (Unity of Good) Science is simple. Mrs. Eddy states little children easily love and respond to it. That is why we must become as a little child in order to receive it. It is only our human striving and intellectuality that would seem to make it complicated and impose stumbling blocks.

JPalmer
    Participant

I was certainly afflicted with wrong thinking and overthinking before coming here, and it ran me right into the ground. In Plainfield, I have learned that Christian Science brings a peaceful thought, which leaves me more able to hear God’s voice. As an aside, a lot of that peacefulness seems to have come from simplifying my many loyalties down to just being loyal to God.

Something I found a while ago that has helped me is this (from Association Address by Bicknell Young, page 20 of the 1936 address):

“Looking for something esoteric, or mystical, or hidden, is not Christian Science. Anything hidden or mystical is error, or unreality. The temptation to become complicated in thought and explanation, if yielded to, obscures Christian Science and prolongs or perhaps prevents demonstration.

Christian Science is intellectual in the highest sense, but that sense is Love, and lacking the simplicity of interpretation which the demonstration of Love alone can give, Christian Science is not correctly explained.”

It’s a good reminder to me that we are not in a secret club. The is only one creator and one creation, and thus nothing good and real is secret or obscure. Truth, Love, Life, and the right thinking of Mind are for all!

What a wonderful realization this was, and is, to me. Thank you!

Carol
    Participant

One thing that has helped me to keep my thought focused on the things of God is to leave a copy of Science and Health or Prose Works on a table or counter, and every time I pass by, I pop it open at random and read whatever my eyes fall on. That has been a big help to keep my thought grounded and to make sure that only the Word of God is in my thinking, as I ponder what I just read. Then any thought contrary to the right becomes offensive and more easy to reject. This is better exercise than going to the gym!!

• This reply was modified 8 years, 1 month ago by Carol.
    MaryBeth
    Participant

Great suggestion! Thank you.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.