Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Forum. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

Thou Shalt Not Steal; here or hereafter.

The Forum is dedicated to each week's lesson, and may be used to post questions, comments, and constructive replies that strive to uncover the inspired meaning of the text. The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible; make two short postings of the long posts or send the lengthy ones for publication in our Magazine or Newsletter. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Announcements Forums Probation After Death – October 27th, 2019 Thou Shalt Not Steal; here or hereafter.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Michael Pupko
    Participant

Drifting away from the Ten Commandments over time seems to develop a tolerance for stealing which is either simply ignored or supported through laws of a society. An example is that a clip from the program “60 Minutes” referenced as ‘the farmers advocate, the CEO of a farm cooperative,’ caught my eye. The short story is that dairy farmers are going broke due to current milk prices and farm cooperatives are supposedly set up to help remedy that. It featured a couple of farmer, sister, owners that milk 1050 cows and are losing $2/for every hundred pounds of milk sold. Using some average milk production figures that translates roughly to $1000/day, 365 days/year. Turns out that the coop CEO was not advocating a cost of production price but a division of the coop produces computer technology to make the farmers more efficient (or the price of this technology is why they can’t make a profit.) Since two people can’t physically milk that many cows they are thus forced to hire illegal persons at non-living wages (more theft) rather than our own citizens (or foreigners)at living wages.

The issue here is that the coop also manufactures the milk and sells to groceries so they have “two masters” and choose one over the other. Processors are happy with the high profits and the government doesn’t know better or are bought off to look the other way.
    This reminds me of the “Book of Nehemiah” where Nehemiah returns to Jerusalem to find the whole city in ruins and many citizens literally sold into slavery by their leaders through a system of laws that dispossess the citizens of fair wages, then their land and then even their children. Also Nehemiah finds that the some of the foreigners that have opposed him in rebuilding Jerusalem actually have an abode in the temple!! (Neh. 13:7,8) He rectifies this injustice by invoking God’s rule through prayer, following the teaching of David and Solomon (Neh. 12:45) and “read in the book of Moses” (Neh. 13:1).Nehemiah restores the dispossessed to their rightful land etc., throws the foreigners out of the temple, and thus restores the proper worship of God.

Florence
    Participant

Great example of how one can be fooled into breaking this commandment. If our journey Spiritward is unending then better understand what the commandments mean and all their implications in order to do my best now to not break them in anyway.It’s important what I do now, while here as well as what will be continued hereafter….After all death does not transcend us, the work continues from when and how we left here…

Susanne
    Participant

Although I am not a dairy farmer I am close friends with one who has a very small herd of cows and allows all of her animals to live as nature intended. The baby calves are allowed to stay with their moms, families are kept together, they live in harmony, are incredibly healthy and beautiful, and raised completely on rotating pastures. The cows live long lives. The babies are weaned after several months. When the milk runs out, there is no more cheese. The beauty of this farming practice, the way nature intended, is breathtaking. This farmer makes a decent living.

After studying the current paradigm of the conventional dairy “industry”–with the terrible harm it does to animals and to the land, the cruel abuse that takes place in the larger dairies, the ripping of babies from their moms, the killing of the male babies, and tragically for the hard-working farmers, a lack of profits–I’ve come to the conclusion that it can never work well because this paradigm includes the breaking of the commandment “thou shalt not steal”: in large money-driven dairies especially, it is apparently common practice to steal babies from the moms as early as day one.

Surely this cruel practice (which also breaks the Golden Rule) cannot be something that blesses. I believe “thou shalt not steal” would best be applied in every industry, and wouldn’t the world be a better place for it?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.