Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Forum. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

Thought Mastery

The Forum is dedicated to each week's lesson, and may be used to post questions, comments, and constructive replies that strive to uncover the inspired meaning of the text. The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible; make two short postings of the long posts or send the lengthy ones for publication in our Magazine or Newsletter. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    parthens
    Participant

“My thoughts are not your thoughts … saith the Lord.” (Is.55:8)

“Thought passes from God to man, but neither sensation nor report goes from material body to Mind.” (See SH 103, 224, 284)

“The time for thinkers has come.” (SH vii:13)

Christian Science teaches that spiritual thought is the complete opposite of material thought. Spiritual thought is a process of discerning, then allowing only thoughts that are God-originated, while material thought has its origin in mortal self, that is, error. Spiritual thought is not something I conjure from within myself.

Eve’s exchange with the serpent in Genesis 3 is a lesson on how not to have a conversation with myself. Eve obviously opened the door of her thought to the wrong visitant, entertaining it unawares until it was too late. In her passive, Adam-dream-like state, she had tuned out God by tuning into error’s rogue radio transmission.

Throughout his life and ministry, Jesus unfailingly refused to dam the flow of angel thoughts that heaven is constantly transmitting from God to man. (SH 581) During the temptation in the wilderness, Jesus (unlike Eve) abruptly ended three attempts of mortal mind to strike up a conversation with him. He unfailingly tested the integrity of every thought he received by measuring it against the integrity of the Word of God. (Luke 4:3-14)

Jesus did not simply eject an erroneous thought by refusing to think it, but he also made sure to fill with Truth the space that the adversary was trying to fill with error.

Of all the armor components listed in Ephesians 6, I am to take up the shield of faith most especially – above all (verse 16). And if this shield is made of faith, what is faith made of? “Faith cometh by hearing and hearing by the Word of God.” (Rom.10:17) Faith’s deflection shield is constructed of Scripture, line upon line, precept upon precept. As I apply it conscientiously to every detail of my life, the polar magnet of the inspired Word creates a spiritual force field around me that satan cannot penetrate. (SH 575:26)

Jesus made sure that every thought he met with was not his, but God’s. Every moment. Unconditionally. This is thought-mastery.

Susanne
    Participant

Thank you for this instructive and thoughtful post. It takes an effort to watch one’s thinking, but it becomes a habit the more one practices.

I can feel the progress I’ve made over the years, thanks to the teaching provided in this church, and I’m grateful. What a difference it’s made in my life!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.