Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Forum. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

To Ruminate.

The Forum is dedicated to each week's lesson, and may be used to post questions, comments, and constructive replies that strive to uncover the inspired meaning of the text. The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible; make two short postings of the long posts or send the lengthy ones for publication in our Magazine or Newsletter. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    spencel
    Participant

“The patient feels ill, ruminates, and the trial commences.” Science and Health by Mary Baker Eddy, page 430

“Ruminate: to think again and again;” Websters 1828 Dictionary

“Rebecca Knight said in the Harvard Business Review, rumination is the tendency to ‘repetitively mull over a thought or problem without ever coming to a resolution.’ It’s not only ‘unhealthy,’ but it’s also an ‘unproductive’ behavior that prevents us from solving problems.”

I realized any unhandled negative fearful thoughts repeated over time may seem normal but they are a form of rumination. In the past I thought of rumination as repetitive thoughts taking place at one time. Now I see it is the “again and again” that is the problem. Not long ago my Plainfield practitioner reminded me that I needed to “stand guard to anything that is unlike God.” Don’t open the door to any of it. “The past is over and has no power so go forward!” This stand for the Truth is productive, has healing as a resolution. and is able to solve problems. Which court case do I want?

JoanneF
    Participant

“And when Paul had gathered a bundle of sticks, and laid them on the fire, there came a viper out of the heat, and fastened on his hand. And he shook off the beast into the fire, and felt no harm.” (Acts 28:3, 5)

“He shook off the beast into the fire…” Paul didn’t ruminate, and ask himself “Why is this happening to me? What have I done wrong?” He just shook it off, and went on with right thinking and “Preaching the kingdom of God, and teaching those things which concern the Lord Jesus Christ, with all confidence.” What a good lesson this gives for us all, to not ruminate when some untoward thought or incident tries to fasten itself upon our thinking, claiming to be real and have power. Just confidently and persistently declare God’s Allness, and shake the “beast” off.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.