Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Bulletin Board. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

Too superstitious!

The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Susanne
    Participant

We read in Acts: “Then Paul stood in the midst of Mars’ hill, and said, Ye men of Athens, I perceive that in all things ye are too superstitious.” I’ve never quite understood what he meant by that! or what “superstitious” really means, so I finally looked it up in the 1828 dictionary:

Superstitious: “Over scrupulous and rigid in religious observances; addicted to superstition; full of idle fancies and scruples in regard to religion; as superstitious people.” Also, “Over exact; scrupulous beyond need.”

So now it makes more sense to me and helps me understand S&H #10: “…Religion will then be of the heart and not of the head. Mankind will no longer be tyrannical and proscriptive from lack of love, — straining out gnats and swallowing camels.” Wow!

I remember Mrs. Evans stressing that it was more important to FEEL the love in our hearts, than to just know everything in our heads. No one had ever expressed it that way to me before. It impressed me deeply at the time. And yet now it seems so obvious!

How often have we seen “religious” people being very judgmental and even hateful. This was probably me too at one time..going through the motion of reading the lesson, but not taking it to heart!

Paul was certainly perceptive and was not afraid to speak up! And so was Mrs. Evans, and our teachers today. That is what I love about this church too–no BS allowed. I appreciate the constant teaching and watchfulness to keep us on track. I now often ask God to teach me to love more! Because I want to always feel love in my heart for my fellow man–and there is always room to love more.

Michael Pupko
    Participant

Dummelow’s Commentary gives the following explanation of the ‘unknown gods,’ Acts 17:23; In Athens during a plague, Epimenides let loose black and white sheep and commanded the Athenians (who had many gods) to sacrifice to ‘the proper god’ wherever a sheep lay down. If they couldn’t figure out ‘the proper god,’ (where the ‘stray’ sheep lay down) an alter was raised to ‘the unknown god.’ Amazing that centuries later and with the teachings of Christ Jesus and Mary Baker Eddy in Christian Science leading to so many God given demonstrations of moral and physical healing, people still choose to worship ‘unknown gods.’

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.