Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Bulletin Board. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

Translation from the Icelandic.

The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Announcements Forums Man — September 5th, 2021 Translation from the Icelandic.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    spencel
    Participant

“The following are some of the equivalents of the term man in different languages. In the Saxon, mankind, a woman, any one; in the Welsh, that which rises up, — the primary sense being image, form; in the Hebrew, image, similitude; in the Icelandic, mind. The following translation is from the Icelandic: —
    And God said, Let us make man after our mind and our likeness; and God shaped man after His mind; after God’s mind shaped He Him; and He shaped them male and female.” Science and Health by Mary Baker Eddy, page 525

This reminded me of a Bible quote I was given to work with from my practitioner here at Plainfield, that I kept for a long time near me on a card to remind me and to pray with all the time from 2 Timothy 1:7, “For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.”

I came across the follow article titled, “A Sound Mind” by Doris White Evans that went well with this week’s Lesson on dwelling together in unity.

“That power must be used with love. It must be the Christ love that doesn’t go up and down, doesn’t waver when approached by a problem, but keeps on loving. It doesn’t react and hate, but loves. It isn’t always easy to love when, perhaps, someone has done something that is not kind. But if we really love the truth and love God, we won’t fall to the level of hating. …

In the early days, when the workers were so very busy seeing Christian Science grow and doing the work that had to be done, and Mrs. Eddy was still here, many of them would pray, ‘Dear God, keep me sweet.’ And that means loving, kind, and strong; but let us never become embittered by what error we may seem to experience or believe. Let me cast it into the trash bin as fast as we know how, and get on with doing the good that God has for us to do. … I’ve watched as good has come to some folks, and when they got to that last thing, the sound mind, they forgot about it and lost the good that they had demonstrated, because they didn’t keep themselves in the mind of Christ. That steady, consistent, humble — not prideful — but humble sense of God.”
    Click here to read full article.

Susanne
    Participant

Excellent reminder, that can’t come too often. Thank you!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.