Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Bulletin Board. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

understand God

The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    spencel
    Participant

“Spiritual sense is a conscious, constant capacity to understand God.” S.&H. p. 209

This line from our lesson really stood out to me this week. I am grateful for the teachings here that constantly bring out the importance of truly understanding God and building a relationship with Him- seeking and striving.
    I really appreciate how the Responsive Reading ties the whole lesson together. It gives us practical steps to seek God for wisdom. We are to: receive my words, and hide my commandments with thee; incline thine ear unto wisdom, and apply thine heart to understanding;
    criest after knowledge, and liftest up thy voice for understanding; seekest her as silver, and searchest for her as for hid treasures;
    Then shalt thou understand the fear of the LORD, and find the knowledge of God.” complied from Proverbs 2: 1-6

Benson Commentary
    “Proverbs 2:1-5. If thou wilt hide my commandments with thee — Wilt lay them up in thy mind and heart with care, as men do their choicest treasures; So that thou incline, — Give thyself to the study of wisdom with affection and diligence. Yea, if thou, criest after knowledge — Namely, unto God, the only giver of it, that is, invitest it to come to thee; earnestly desirest its guidance; If thou seekest her as silver — With the same unwearied diligence and earnest desire, and patient expectation under all delays, disappointments, and difficulties, which the men of the world use in pursuit of riches; Then shalt thou understand — More perfectly and profitably; the fear of the Lord — Which is the beginning of this wisdom, Proverbs 1:7.”

Jamieson-Fausset-Brown Bible Commentary
    “understanding—right perception of truth.”

spencel
    Participant

I decided to use the list from Proverbs and make it practical in my life. I used Bible Hub search online to see different Bible interpretations to work on this. Below is my interpretation.

It is repeated in our classes nothing worthwhile comes easily but requires persistence, hard work, and diligence.

We are to:
    1. receive my words (take to heart),- making sure I am not just repeating words but slowing down and focusing on the meaning, and living these prayers rather then continuing in the same old patterns.
    2. and hide my commandments with thee (value);-seeing importance, worth, and usefulness of not dabbling or using only parts of this Science but bringing it into all of my life and being.
    3. incline thine ear unto wisdom (listen),-get myself out of the way,cultivate humility,be willing to learn and make mistakes, accept rebukes. Jesus said,”hearing they may hear, and not understand; lest at any time they should be converted,” Mark 4
    4. and apply thine heart to understanding (patience);-starting my day with God first and checking my motives and thoughts throughout the day.
    5. criest after knowledge (importunately and fervently),- seeing that I need God which means the need to work on meekness rather than persisting in my human will. Not giving up. Using my whole heart.
    6. and liftest up thy voice for understanding (acknowledge Him);-not done by my might but asking God for His ideas.
    7. If thou seekest her as silver,and searchest for her as for hid treasures;-seek after the things of God with the same energy, eagerness, and affection that I would search after the so called treasures of the world

• This reply was modified 7 years, 11 months ago by spencel.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.