Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Bulletin Board. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

Unity or desolation

The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Announcements Forums Mind — February 20th, 2022 Unity or desolation

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    JPalmer
    Participant

7. Matthew 12
    25 And Jesus knew their thoughts, and said unto them, Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation; and every city or house divided against itself shall not stand:

While reading the lesson, I began to feel this was the point where Christ Jesus realized his teachings would never be accepted by the Jewish establishment — as it was already divided and warring against itself long before he came along — so he would have to ensure his disciples were not only up to the task of taking his teachings forward and demonstrating them, but also to begin Christianity. It wasn’t until Matthew 16:18 that he said: upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

At the Roundtables it’s been mentioned how Mary Baker Eddy tried to get the Christian churches of her day to take in and accept Science and Health, but they would not, so she also was led to make a new Church. And later, when the Boston Church was warring against itself and faltering, the Plainfield Church was ejected and began to find its own independent path with the grace of God.

I’m very grateful for the unity felt at this Church. The need for it, the importance of it, is spoken of frequently, and truly lived in everything done here. It is wonderful to be a part of this mission for God and man!

Lynda’s post from last week gave the definition of “desolate” (1) and no part of that is desired for this Church we hold so dear! Those other churches have given us a clear map of what not to do, how not to act, and how to lose the way. Let us, therefore, stay united in our love of God, and in all the big and small ways we work together for God’s glory and the Cause of Christian Science.

Thank you for this lesson!

(1) “Desolate: Neglected; destroyed; solitary; without a companion; afflicted; deserted of God; deprived of comfort.” — the 1828 Webster Dictionary

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.