Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Bulletin Board. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

Unknown gods

The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Michael Pupko
    Participant

Acts 17:23. For as I passed by, and beheld your devotions, I found an altar with this inscription, TO THE UNKNOWN GOD. Whom therefore ye ignorantly worship, him declare I unto you.

From Dummelow’s One Bible Commentary; During a plague in Athens, Epimenides let loose sheep and ordered the Athenians to sacrifice them ‘to the proper god’ wherever they lay down. Often ‘the proper god’ could not be ascertained so an alter was raised to an unknown god. Thus Paul used this as an opportunity to teach us about God.

Prior to coming to Christian Science I also prayed to an unknown god, ignorantly, with little effect which led me to not have any faith. It is such a different life now to know the only real God and life only gets more meaningful the more I learn the Truth about God here at Plainfield:)

Florence
    Participant

And it is wonderful that as we live His Truth, as best we can, we gain more spiritual understanding, which makes God KNOWN to us, as we feel His presence and power. What felt intangible gradually becomes a tangible Father-Mother, one we can talk and listen to. One we can make our all,find our true selves in and LOVE.
    Paul did teach as Jesus did that 1 Cor 15:50 50 Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; we cannot understand God through material knowledge!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.