Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Forum. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

Voice of Truth

The Forum is dedicated to each week's lesson, and may be used to post questions, comments, and constructive replies that strive to uncover the inspired meaning of the text. The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible; make two short postings of the long posts or send the lengthy ones for publication in our Magazine or Newsletter. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    spencel
    Participant

“The Soul-inspired patriarchs heard the voice of Truth, and talked with God as consciously as man talks with man.” By Mary Baker Eddy Science and Health p. 308

We are encouraged often at this church to talk to God. Last Wed. a testifier spoke of learning to talk with God and how it brought blessings to his life taking the time to do this. The above citation from our Lesson this week gave me a deeper sense that listening is a very important part of talking with God. A couple of days ago I came across a book that was written by the same author who wrote “On The Way There” found on our website. The message was a good reminder to me that to be a better listener.

“Marjorie bit her lip. ‘Well,’ she said at last, ‘you didn’t have the rhyme right, anyway.’

‘Why isn’t it right?’ asked the Dream.

‘It’s:– Open your mouth and shut your eyes. And I’ll give you something to make you wise.’

‘Nonsense!’ said the Dream. ‘If you’d try it the other way, Open you eyes and shut your mouth, you’d find that you didn’t need anything ‘to make you wise.’

Marjorie pondered for a moment. ‘Perhaps you are right,’ she said, finally. ‘I’m sure I’ve had more trouble through opening my mouth than I ever had through keeping it shut.’ Through The Woods by Katherine M. Yates

Here are a few things we are told make a good listener. Listen to learn with the intention of understanding and getting the feeling of the message and to build a meaningful connection, desire to be there, be open, humble, teachable, give your full attention with respect. This made me realize in my time with God I must keep out distractions, not come with a to do list, opinions, or an agenda and be aware to take the time to feel the message. I can see how the discipline of true listening is essential to cultivate.

“To-day, if ye would hear His voice, listen to His Word and serve no other gods. Then the divine Principle of good, that we call God, will be found an ever-present help in all things, and Christian Science will be understood.” by Mary Baker Eddy My 152

rwells
    Participant

Thank you, Lynda!

Hymn 237 came to me during my watch tonight, and I wanted to share it right here:

O may we be still and seek Him,
    Seek with consecration whole,
    Listening thus to hear the message,
    Far from sense and hid in Soul.

He hath promised we shall find Him,
    Love divine its promise keeps;
    God is watching with the watchful,
    God is Mind that never sleeps.

If we pray to Him in secret,
    Lift to Him the heart’s desire,
    We shall find our earthly longings
    All made pure by Love’s pure fire.

Then upon the precious metal
    God’s own image will appear,
    Faithfully to Him reflected,
    One with Him forever near.

chardelle

Thank you both!What a blessing!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.