Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Bulletin Board. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

"Wash in the pool of Siloam"

The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    JoanneF
    Participant

I found these two Bible commentaries helpful in understanding more about “wash in the pool of Siloam.”

“Our Lord sent the blind man, thus startled into some receptivity of grace, to that which was the symbolic source of the water of life. He did this on the sabbath day, claiming cooperation with Jehovah: “My Father worketh hitherto, and I work.” Siloam was the type of that which Jesus was in reality, when he had cried and said, “If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink.” Consequently, there is striking fitness in the language of St. John here parenthetically introduced. John is correct in his etymology. Siloam probably derived its name from the fact that its waters were sent from the higher sources, through known channels, with special significance as God’s gift for the preservation of the life of the people, and the age-long memorial of his goodness. “Siloam,” as meaning “Sent,” was in John’s thought emblematic of him who had so often spoken of himself as the Sent of God. The blind man needed no guide to Siloam, and he came away from Siloam, seeing; in all the strange and wonderful excitement of a man who, with his first possession of this imperial sense, was moving indeed in a new world.”

And another Bible commentator writes: “Jesus, in sending the man away from Him, is keeping Himself before him in everything connected with his cure. Thus, throughout the whole narrative, all attention is concentrated on Jesus Himself, who is the Light of the world, who was ‘sent of God’ to open blind eyes.”

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.