Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Forum. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

We Must Earn Our Way.

The Forum is dedicated to each week's lesson, and may be used to post questions, comments, and constructive replies that strive to uncover the inspired meaning of the text. The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible; make two short postings of the long posts or send the lengthy ones for publication in our Magazine or Newsletter. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Announcements Forums Man – March 6th, 2016 We Must Earn Our Way.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Florence
    Participant

SH 238 : 15-21 Unimproved opportunities will rebuke us when we attempt to claim the benefits of an experience we have not made our own, try to reap the harvest we have not sown, and wish to enter unlawfully into the labors of others. Truth often remains unsought, until we seek this remedy for human woe because we suffer severely from error.

To improve what we are gaining, we are required to obey some rules and also put into practice whatever understanding of Truth we gain. Martha Wilcox puts these rules in the form of questions on page 169 of her book which I find very helpful:

For instance, 1.Are we obedient to the rule that requires us to counter-fact every disease and every inharmony?
    2.Do we always turn from the lie of false belief to truth?
    3.Do we insist vehemently on the great fact which covers the whole ground, that God is All? Do we keep in mind the verity of Being?
    4.Do we remember that man’s perfection is real and unimpeachable? (See S&H 233:28; 421:15; 414:26-27)

Thank God for all these resources that help us earn our way to the healing Truth.

Susanne
    Participant

Thank you for this post. These rules are a good reminder of what is required to stand porter at the door of thought, to be always watching.

spencel
    Participant

This citation stuck to me and was a continual reminder of the attitude I need to cultivate.
    I Chronicles 28 : 9
    …know thou the God of thy father, and serve him with a perfect heart and with a willing mind: for the LORD searcheth all hearts,
    And from Gill’s Exposition of the Bible:
    “…serve him with a perfect heart, and with a willing mind; cordially and sincerely, cheerfully and freely, neither in an hypocritical manner, nor through force and constraint, nor with loathing and weariness.”

I appreciate the questions listed above and see the necessity of having a willing mind and perfect heart to be obedient to what is required of us. I am learning work to be well done sure can’t be accomplished superficially or half heartedly. I am grateful for the discipline constantly taught here.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.