Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Bulletin Board. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

What is sacrament?

The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Betty S
    Participant

I love how the Golden Text go together so well in this weeks lesson on Sacrament. The Golden Text asks, “Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?” and the Responsive Reading responds, “O fear the Lord, ye his saints: for there is no want to them that fear him” In addition to a healthy fear of not taking God seriously, this also meant that I should love, respect and have no other gods but God and then I will find “there is no want.” Then the responsive reading goes on to say,”I will teach you the fear of the Lord.” It is done by keeping “thy tongue from evil, and thy lips from guile. Depart from evil, and do good; seek peace, and pursue it.” One must keep one’s thoughts and focus on God to do all of that. If one does this, God sees the righteous and hears their cry. The Psalmist then prays to see God’s lovingkindness and to know the way he should go and to do God’s will and to be upright and gives to God all of his trust with all his heart and soul.
    To me, this was truly the definition of sacrament. Thank you for this beautiful lesson.

Susanne
    Participant

Thank you for your post! In the 1828 Webster’s dictionary, the definition of sacrament reads in part, “an oath”, or “In present usage, an outward and visible sign of inward and spiritual grace.”

I think that those disciples of the Lord who truly strive to be obedient and do His will exude that “inward and spiritual grace”. On page 32 in Science and Health, on the subject of sacrament, in a paragraph entitled, “Spiritual refreshment”, Mrs. Eddy states, “Jesus prayed; he withdrew from the material senses to refresh his heart with brighter, with spiritual views.” When we are refreshed “with spiritual views”, we can then give “simple seekers for Truth, weary wanderers, athirst in the desert” “a cup of cold water in Christ’s name, and never fear the consequences.” (p. 570)

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.