Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Bulletin Board. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

When angels appear

The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    bruce
    Participant

This statement from Science and Health is very dear. “My angels are exalted thoughts, appearing at the door of some sepulchre, in which human belief has buried its fondest earthly hopes. With white fingers they point upward to a new and glorified trust, to higher ideals of life and joys.” A sepulchre is a stone structure where something dead is buried. The whole idea of burying one’s fondest of earthly hopes, aspirations, plans, and the fact that the angel message is waiting at the door when these are released, indicates what a loving God we have to provide whatever good is needed when we bury the selfish desires. This angelic presence obviously points to a better way, but also to a higher trust. There must be a trust and honest acknowledgement of who and what is in control.

parthens
    Participant

It is reported that Mrs. Eddy constantly kept on her desk a hymn book open to John Henry Newman’s “Lead, Kindly Light.” Also, as she observed the “garish day” of pride and creeping materialism affecting the Boston church (especially the Board of Directors), she recommended that this hymn be sung often.
    There are hundreds of testimonials bearing witness to the protective and transformative power of this prayer-hymn, how it has lifted so many up and out of seemingly impossible circumstances.
    In keeping with the magnificent SH 299:7-17 passage quoted above, is the 3rd verse:

So long thy pow’r hath blest me, sure it still
    Will lead me on
    O’er moor and fen, o’er crag and torrent, till
    The night is gone.
    And with the morn those angel faces smile,
    Which I have loved long since, and lost awhile!

“The morn” signifies the dawning of understanding, awakening to angel thoughts that come to anyone who responds to temptation properly, just as Jesus overcame the devil in the wilderness, and afterward, according to fixed principle, as day follows night, found himself in the company of angels.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.