Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Bulletin Board. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

“Whereby shall I know this?”

The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    JPalmer
    Participant

3. Luke 1
    13 But the angel said unto him, Fear not, Zacharias: for thy prayer is heard; and thy wife Elisabeth shall bear thee a son, and thou shalt call his name John.
    18 And Zacharias said unto the angel, Whereby shall I know this? for I am an old man, and my wife well stricken in years.
    19 And the angel answering said unto him, I am Gabriel, that stand in the presence of God; and am sent to speak unto thee, and to shew thee these glad tidings.
    20 And, behold, thou shalt be dumb, and not able to speak, until the day that these things shall be performed, because thou believest not my words, which shall be fulfilled in their season.

When reading about Zacharias this morning, it occurred to me that fear is a sign of doubting God’s power and our oneness with Him. It seems every case of doubt could be answered with Christ Jesus’ words “Ye do err, not knowing the scriptures, nor the power of God.” (Matthew 22:29) Zacharias, being in the position he was, knew the scriptures — he certainly knew of Abraham and Sarah having Isaac when they did — yet that story must have been mere words to him and holding no proof of God’s power in his life at that moment.

In line with this week’s Daily Watch, Zacharias’ question “Whereby shall I know this?” is focused on effect. Yet, every moment divine inspiration and revelation is showing us what we must obediently do as the expression of the one Cause, God. For us to allow the human mind to introduce questions of “Whereby shall I know this?” or whether we are worthy to hear His voice or be His expression — or to have us doubt God’s power to unfold only good in our lives — is to make what we know of Christian Science be only words to us.

I am so grateful for all I am learning here, and for how all this is showing me how to prove God’s power in my life, and to trust it. What a blessing Plainfield is! Thank you!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.