Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Forum. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

which are God’s

The Forum is dedicated to each week's lesson, and may be used to post questions, comments, and constructive replies that strive to uncover the inspired meaning of the text. The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible; make two short postings of the long posts or send the lengthy ones for publication in our Magazine or Newsletter. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    spencel
    Participant

6. I Corinthians 6 : 19, 20
    “19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?
    20 For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God’s.”

I watched a short film about the life of George Muller – a man who went from a carousing lifestyle to having a Bible based godly life. His mission became providing for the needs of thousands of orphan street children. He has written how he was able to sustain himself and meet the demands of caring for these children. In the following excerpt he writes of a discovery he made during an illness that greatly weakened him and the blessing and healing he found once he regularly “nourished and strengthened” the inner man.” He said bed rest never accomplished what this time of spiritual nourishment did for him.
    “I began … early in the morning. The first thing I did, after having asked in a few words the Lord’s blessing upon his precious Word, was, to begin to meditate on the Word of God, searching as it were into every verse, to get blessing out of it; … for the sake of obtaining food for my own soul. … Now, what is the food for the inner man? Not prayer, but the Word of God; and here again, not the simple reading of the Word of God, so that it only passes through our minds, just as water runs through a pipe, but considering what we read, pondering over it, and applying it to our hearts. When we pray, we speak to God.” Soul Nourishment, First a Booklet by George Müller, May 9, 1841

This is an example of living the instructions of Christ Jesus and Mrs. Eddy that is so carefully and clearly taught here at Plainfield.

God first and the rest will follow.

As shared at the last Roundtable, “Wake up and give the whole day to God.”

spencel
    Participant

For Staying on the Straight and Narrow
    by Doris W. Evans

The following were among the things that Mrs. Evans gave us to use each day to help stay on “the straight and narrow.”

First thing in the morning, “before your feet hit the floor”:

God is Mind. God is my mind. God is the only pure Mind.
    God is Life. God is my life. God is the only Life.
    I am a law unto myself that mental malpractice cannot harm me, either when asleep or when awake. (from S&H)
    As you continue your preparations for the day, run through the three Daily Duties listed at the bottom of the Full- text Lesson – from the Church Manual.

Prior to reading the Lesson, pray that God open your heart to hear what He has to say to you today. Take some thought from the Lesson to use during the day – write it on a piece of paper to have with you.

During the day, have the three statements of Christ Jesus on your lips, repeating as necessary:

“I and my Father are one. The Father that dwelleth in me, He doeth the works. The Father hath not left me alone.” (Jesus)

Each day, read 5 pages of S&H, 5 pages of Misc. Wr., 5 pages of the Bible, or whatever you can schedule.

In the evening, before sleep, go over the day. Thank God for blessings – it is helpful to keep a list. Then ask God if there is anything you might have done better.

Finally, “Into Thine hand I commit my spirit; Thou hast redeemed me, O LORD God of truth.” (Ps. 31:5) before closing your eyes for the night.

DaleW
    Participant

Thank you for these posts; they are great to have!

parthens
    Participant

“George Müller cared for 10,000 orphaned children in Bristol during the 19th Century. He never made appeals for money, trusting implicitly in God, he received £1,500,000 in answer to prayer. At present day prices, this would be well over £86,000,000.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWZIkGbC3f0 – “The Legacy of George Müller”

https://www.mullers.org/ – inspiring website! Lots of features, also has
    an interactive area for children.

chardelle

Addresses by Martha Wilcox p. 411, As Christian Scientists, we strive to get an understanding
    of our own being, and life, in order that the manifested
    form of these may be our bodies and our daily living.
    Understanding in its concrete form is proof of demonstration,
    and these are always a unit in consciousness, and
    are inseparable and inseverable; the actual is always the
    practical.
    Truth discerned must have an accompanying concrete
    manifestation.

For me these statements explain what the Bible tells us about our being one with God and that we are in fact the “temple of the Holy Ghost”.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.