Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Forum. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

"Who is David?"

The Forum is dedicated to each week's lesson, and may be used to post questions, comments, and constructive replies that strive to uncover the inspired meaning of the text. The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible; make two short postings of the long posts or send the lengthy ones for publication in our Magazine or Newsletter. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    parthens
    Participant

Nabal the fool asks, “Who is David?” and then immediately proceeds to answer his own question, contemptuously referring to David as a slave fleeing from his master, along with his army of misfits. outlaws, and malcontents. (I Samuel 25:10 — it’s obvious that Nabal is lecturing David’s messengers as well on the importance of submitting to authority for its own sake. siding with Saul, the mad king to whom all should submit unconditionally. In this, Nabal shares the same resentment as Shimei, of Saul’s house, whose sense of entitlement was a fanatical fixation: only members of Saul’s family should rule Israel. (2 Sam. 16)

Nabal and Shimei, in belittling David, are symbolic of mortal mind’s mocking, accusatory insistence that man is not the Lord’s anointed, man is not image and likeness of Spirit and thus man must submit to matter’s rule (Saul), and man has no dominion over the works of God’s hands whatsoever, but exists only as a groveling slave at the tyrannical bidding of a Mind-less, insane master, matter.

David’s upward struggle in ascending to the throne to which God called him is symbolic of the Christian’s step-by-step scaling of the mount of attainment so graphically depicted in Mrs. Eddy’s “Allegory.” (MW 323)

Abigail’s absence from Nabal and subsequent presence with David is symbolic of the attainment of spiritual realization:

“Gender . . . is a quality, not of God, but a characteristic of mortal mind.” (SH 305:12–13)

“The Lamb’s wife presents the unity of male and female as no longer two wedded individuals, but as two individual natures in one; and this compounded spiritual individuality reflects God as Father-Mother, not as a corporeal being.” (SH 577:4–8)

“Look long enough, and you see male and female one — sex or gender eliminated; you see the designation man meaning woman as well, and you see the whole universe included in one infinite Mind and reflected in the intelligent compound idea, image or likeness, called man, showing forth the infinite divine Principle, Love, called God, — man wedded to the Lamb, pledged to innocence, purity, perfection.” (My. 268:29–5, emphasis added)

“Arise from your false consciousness into the true sense of Love, and behold the Lamb’s wife, — Love wedded to its own spiritual idea.” (SH 575:1–3)

Susanne
    Participant

Thank you for this post. I especially appreciate your quotes on gender which I find so pertinent in this era of “gender confusion”. Mrs. Eddy’s writings, clothed in Love, are beautiful to me on this subject.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.