Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Bulletin Board. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

Whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth

The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Announcements Forums Everlasting Punishment — October 31st, 2021 Whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Ldshap
    Participant

“For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth. If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not?” (Heb 12:6, 7) – Responsive Reading

The book, Painting a Poem, sheds such light on our beloved Leader through her many visits, conversations, and letters that were the recorded experiences of James F. Gilman, who illustrated Mrs. Eddy’s poem, Christ and Christmas, with her constant guidance (they are both listed as the artists at the end of the poem). Can one imagine tackling the task of putting into illustrations the essence of Mrs. Eddy’s spiritual thoughts??! It was only Mr. Gilman’s humility that allowed him to see the job through to the end, as he endured several instances of rebukes/chastening. Here is one example of his reaction to Mrs. Eddy’s loving chastening:

“(I [Mr. Gilman] neglected the getting of my mail in the morning that day, hence was not ‘prepared’ with my brushes as the letter had directed me to be.). . . . [Mrs. Eddy] received me very coldly and began at once to express displeasure, asking why I persisted in disobeying her express commands. . . . [She] commanded me to go back to my rooms until Monday, (it was now Saturday, 2 P.M.), and not to do a single thing in the intervening time, and then come up again prepared to correct my bad work. Then she left me with a cold good day.” [The following Monday] – “This morning I felt renewed and refreshed, and with a chastened sense I went up again, this time prepared, and with my brushes, as she had before requested. . . . She retained the hold upon my hand as she stood close to me in her precious way, and looking very earnestly and with solicitation up into my eyes, she said yearningly like a mother, ‘It seems hard to bear, I know. You won’t feel hard toward me, will you? I felt I must be severe because you needed it; but it was hard for me to be so.’ I was striving to restrain the floods that threatened to inundate me. I finally found voice to say that there was nothing but gratitude in my mind for her faithfulness toward me, to which she joyfully responded, ‘I am so glad!’” (pp. 111-114).

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.