Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Bulletin Board. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

"With God at My Right Hand" [CS Hymn 77]

The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Announcements Forums Probation After Death – October 27th, 2019 "With God at My Right Hand" [CS Hymn 77]

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    parthens
    Participant

“I have set the Lord always before me: because he is at my right hand, I shall not be moved . . . . Thou wilt shew me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore.” (Psalm 16: 8, 11)

The Bible makes it clear that “the right hand of God” refers to His spiritual authority and power; Exodus 15:6, for example: “Thy right hand, O Lord, is become glorious in power: thy right hand, O Lord, hath dashed in pieces the enemy.”

According to Mrs. Eddy, Christian Science is “God’s right hand grasping the universe.” (MW 364)

Spiritually speaking (not anatomically or physiologically), the right hand of God’s image and likeness corresponds to the right hand of God. So how do I lay hold of such power and might as this?

“[God’s] precepts require the disciple to cut off the right hand and pluck out the right eye, — that is, to set aside even the most cherished beliefs and practices, to leave all for Christ.” (SH 141:6) Thus, the right hand of personal self must be amputated that it might permanently give place to the right hand of God.

Ps. 121:5 – “The LORD is thy keeper: the LORD is thy shade upon thy right hand.” These two promises are conditional upon releasing the grip of my right hand upon all the baggage of materiality and self-absorption that weighs down pilgrims as they ascend the mount of spiritual attainment. (MW 323-328) “[L]et us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us.” (Heb. 12:1)

I have no access to the right hand of Soul if I am preoccupied with sense. How can my right hand be the image and likeness of God’s right hand if I am allowing my God-given power to slip away? See https://www.inc.com/amy-morin/9-ways-mentally-strong-people-retain-their-personal-power.html.

“Practice not profession, understanding not belief, gain the ear and right hand of omnipotence and they assuredly call down infinite blessings.” (SH 15:28–30, emphasis added)

Susanne
    Participant

Thank you for this enlightening post, with very helpful ideas in the link you posted. Excellent points worth heeding!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.