Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Bulletin Board. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

Woe unto him that saith…to the woman, What hast thou brought forth?

The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Announcements Forums God the only Cause and Creator — December 6th, 2020 Woe unto him that saith…to the woman, What hast thou brought forth?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    JPalmer
    Participant

Responsive Reading: Isaiah 45
    10. Woe unto him that saith unto his father, What begettest thou? or to the woman, What hast thou brought forth?

This brought back what Mary Baker Eddy wrote on page 26 of Retrospection and Introspection:

Jesus of Nazareth was a natural and divine Scientist. He was so before the material world saw him. He who antedated Abraham, and gave the world a new date in the Christian era, was a Christian Scientist, who needed no discovery of the Science of being in order to rebuke the evidence. To one “born of the flesh,” however, divine Science must be a discovery. Woman must give it birth.

Interpreting Isaiah 45:10 in this way, the thought that having antagonism to Christian Science brings “Grief; sorrow; misery” (as the 1828 Webster’s defines ‘wo’) I can see is not a “curse” (another definition) but comes from the fact that you are denying the blessing that God is giving you. I did it for a long time, and “Grief; sorrow; misery” is pretty much what I had and cursed is how I felt.

Recently we had the Bible Study about Nicodemus trying to understand when “Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.” (John 3:3) As a child going to Christian churches, being “born again” was a prominent desire, and yet no matter how many times I was baptized in pools, rivers, etc. I was no better off. Not until coming to Plainfield and learning that being born again is that process of being purged of false beliefs and gaining the understanding of Mary Baker Eddy’s revelation did I start to put off the “Grief; sorrow; misery” of that old man and in some way “see the kingdom of God.”

I am so grateful for this process. I am also grateful for these lessons that bring out new understanding each week. Since Christian Science is provable, I can take this thought that “Grief; sorrow; misery” are signs that I am striving with my Maker (Isaiah 45:9) in some manner, and work to lift my thought instead of continuing to push back against the Christ.

It is so wonderful to be a member of this Church, and for all the weekly lessons, Roundtables, Bible Studies, and practitioner support. I am so grateful to be here! Thank you!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.