Welcome to the PlainfieldCS Bulletin Board. You will need to log in before you can post here. Click here to log in if you already have an account. If you do not have an account, please contact jeremy@plainfieldcs.com. Thank you!

…wrought in God

The Bulletin Board is for gratitude for Christian Science and the Church, as well as timely excerpts from the Bible, the works of Mrs. Eddy, and the early workers that help and encourage. We are very grateful for all posts that conform to these guidelines, but will edit or remove anything that the Practitioners feel is not in complete accord with pure Christian Science or in any way disrespectful of it.

We also ask that you keep your postings as concise as possible. If you quote the Bible, please use The King James Version, as this is what Mrs. Eddy used. Thank you!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    JPalmer
    Participant

RESPONSIVE READING: John 3
    21. But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God.

From the 1828 Webster’s Dictionary:
    Wrought
    1. Worked; formed by work or labor; as wrought iron.

I was struck by the word “wrought” here, as this verse shows not only that God is substance, but also that the only way for our labors to amount to anything is if they are done with Truth and understanding. Otherwise, they can have no manifestation or basis.

This helps to explain more to me why selfish prayer brings no relief, as it is wrought in self and not in God.

It also shows why evil has no history, as nothing was made, so nothing can be remembered.

Finally, I feel it shows why there is no need for fear or worry: Evil and error can manifest only fleeting beliefs which can never compete or compare with the eternal goodness manifested from the only real substance that is God.

8. 350
    Unless the works are comprehended which his words explained, the words are blind.

I am so grateful for Christian Science — as taught and explained in this church — giving the means to understand how to have our work “wrought in God.” Learning to live this Science is little-by-little easing all fears; filling me with so much gratitude for all that Christ Jesus and Mrs. Eddy did; and, imparting an increasing desire to do whatever God would have me do. Thank you!

Gary
    Participant

Thank you, Jeremy. This is a major step in our spiritual growth, — to appreciate that the power behind the works that Jesus is referring to is divine Mind, not a human being. Jesus didn’t do the healing, and neither can we! Jesus saw clearly the perfection of God’s creation. The healings followed as a result of his refusal to accept any false beliefs about God’s creation, and that is all that we can (and must) do. This is why humility is essential to follow in his footsteps. If I think that I have any power other than God, then I am on the wrong foot to begin with and will accomplish nothing. When I realize that God is the only power, and that power is my life, and I have nothing without the power of God, then I am able to see Him in control and my consciousness becomes more clear. Jesus refused to accept anything other than the perfection of God’s creation, and those who were receptive to that truth were healed. This shows the power of Truth to correct all errors.
    Our job is to have this line of demarcation in our own consciousness, and not let anything cross it. I am so grateful to be catching a glimpse of this powerful truth.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Love is the liberator.